pickup question: Seymour Duncan P-Rails

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jbd3, Dec 19, 2009.

1. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

Not sure if this should go here or under the "effects" category, so here goes.

I have a pair of P-Rails that I want to put in a PRS or LP. My understanding is that you can get three sounds per pickup: P-90, single-coil, and then humbucking, which is basically just both at the same time. For the people who have used these p'ups already, how have you wired it so that you have the option of getting all three sounds? (Plus I think there may be in phase/out of phase options too...)

It seems like you could do it any number of ways; I wanted to see what was working best for people who are actually using them. I'd like to avoid adding switches to the guitar; don't want to do any drilling... I had thought about either the Duncan mounting rings with the small external switches, or maybe push-pull pots, if someone makes one with three positions rather than just two.

What say you?

2. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

There are actually 4 usable sounds because there are two humbucking options. The standard "series" humbucking sound is very very hot. If you put the two coils together in parallel, it has a really unique but vintage sound to it that I like quite a bit.

Really, the simplest approach is to use the Duncan mounting rings with the switches. I don't like push-pull pots, so I ended up drilling and installing switches. The rings hadn't come out yet...I definitely would have used them.

3. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

I was researching this on TGP, and a LOT of guys don't like push/pull pots... Yet another discovery I've made here to convince me all my current gear is ****! But yes, it does seem like given that the P-Rails offer three options instead of two, a push/pull pot wouldn't be great... Especially since you would actually need a push/push/pull/pull pot, to get all three settings. So score one for the Duncan mounting rings. I think it's called the Triple Shot.

As far as the two humbucking options: these choices are available for each pickup individually when in humbucking mode, not just in terms of how the two humbuckers interact with each other, right?

Is the "series" wiring what's usually used, ie in your average dual-humbucker guitar like a PRS, Les Paul what have you?

The parallel, vintage sound--is there an example in a rock song you can point to as being a good example of this?

Finally, can the pickups be wired so you can switch between parallel and series wiring? (I think for this, you'd need one more switch than the Triple Shot offers, assuming you'd want P-90, single-coil, and humbucking options too...)

It gets confusing.

4. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

Check out the Duncan site for info on the Triple Shot rings ..

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/triple-shot/triple_shot_swi/

Click on the how to install video

The rings allow you to get standard series or parallel wiring, as well as switching off either coil, with the P-Rails that would be the P-90 or the rail.

I have the pickups in a Heritage H-170 using the pre -existing switch holes, from a D-VIP set up, the middle mini switch does nothing at the moment. The two outer switches are three way - series humbucker/ P-90/ rail.

I like the pickups a lot, and at the moment have another set with the triple shot rings lined up for a Heritage H-535 semi hollow, no holes or switches, push/ pulls etc. required, that should be a great setup when it's done.

H-170 with P-Rails ...
    [​IMG]

I myself wouldn't class the P-Rails as a very high output pickup, they have an excellent clean tone in series humbucking mode, sound really good with my Blues Junior and AC30.

5. Deft Tungsman

Deft Tungsman Member

I put some P-Rails in my '79 The Paul about a year and a half ago. I wired them up for all four sounds with no switches, no drilling, just two push/push knobs. (I also dislike push/pull knobs.) Whatever you do in the end, I highly recommend wiring them so you get the humbuckers in parallel. I use that sound much more than the series mode.

Here's a link to the tone report I wrote at the time:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=431464

Good luck!
    Deft

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

All four options two push/pull pots. Works great and is easy to remember.
    [​IMG]