Pickup question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by kwicked, Sep 20, 2019.

1. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Long story short (or short story short) i got a 3 ply pg to replace a 1 ply on a strat. Everything good except it is thicker and the pots didnt come far enough through for the nut to grab on the face side. I ended up leaving out the metal plate under the pg that the pots and 5 way go through. Fits fine, no noise, etc. Do i need that- not sure if it is called control plate? New pg has very thin adhesive shielding. Old pg had no shielding at all, just the plate. PUs are noiseless so no hum or buzz, sounded fine at practice. Thanks for any advice!
    Guitar is 57 vintage hot rod. Here is what the old pg looked like.
    https://reverb.com/item/13603341-ne...trat-loaded-pickguard-stratocaster-0073148000

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Member

You are fine. As long as there is continuity on the grounding between the pots, your good. And if it doesn’t buzz or make noise...I would just leave it.

3. kwicked

^Thanks! Is there an easy way to tell if there is continuity on the grounding?

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Multimeter set to Ohms (Ω)

5. kwicked

Ok..then what? Thx!

6. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

Take readings between everything that should be grounded. You can use the bridge as your first point. Touch the other probe to the pot shafts (or fixing nuts), and the ground side of the jack (the fixing nut will do).

You should get ohm readings in the single digits for all of your measurements.

... Thom

7. kwicked

Thanks, all looks good! But of course while i had the multimeter out i checked the pickups. Any reason why the SCN neck would read 6.2 (normal) and the middle SCN would read 10.0? It should be same as neck per the specs, but not sure if SSH changes anything and also it appears a former owner wired the 2nd tone control to bridge and middle, which i like but would this account for the difference? Sounds fine, but it is definitely hotter than the neck. Thanks alot guys, learning a bunch here :beer

8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Pickups will have more wraps on the coil as you get closer to the bridge, otherwise they wouldn't be balanced (volume-wise).
    The excursion of the string lessens as you get closer to the bridge & the extra windings on the coil compensate for that.

9. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

Make sure that when you take a pickup reading, do it with pickup disconnected or at least, it should not be "on" by the selector switch. So if you want to test the middle, put the switch in any position that would not turn on that pickup. When it is selected, it will give you a false reading.

10. kwicked

Thanks again, probably obvious i haven't done much of this before, lol. I was measuring by testing the plugged in (to output jack) instrument cable with the pickup selected by the switch. Very consistent 6.2 readings on the neck of this guitar and both the neck and middle of another SCN equipped guitar i have. But on this one the middle reads 10.0 Works fine but is hotter than the neck. I changed the pickguard and unfortunately did not test before i changed it. Is it possible i damaged it, they are said to be very fragile pickups.
    Or put another way, what could cause a pickup to read and output hotter than it is spec'd?

11. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

I am not familiar with SCN pickups. Never used them.

12. kwicked

No worries, thanks for the responses. I lowered the middle to make it more balanced and it sounds great so i will stop worrying about it and enjoy unless it stops working properly. Naturally in the way of nothing ever being easy, while i had it open i replaced the crumbling tubing with some pickup springs that work much better for adjusting but of course are too short so the p/u's are not stable enough against the guard :mad: Ordered some longer ones, only 5 bucks but still a PIA, lol