Pickup Quiry

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Alfons, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Alfons

Alfons Member

Hey,

I'm interested in buying a pickup(HUMBUCKER) but its tough for me to choose which one . I'm a big Pantera fan and am looking for Dime's tone . Other than that I play a lot of rock blues and Van Halen .I dont quite prefer Mids and want it as minimal as possible . I was thinking about the Dimarzio Steve's Special :confused:

Another thing , a friend of mine was looking for a pickup ( HUMBUCK ) too . He basically needs something thats quite versatile ,overall sound and he basically plays blues and metal .
    His options are the Seymour Duncan SH-4 , Seymour Duncan Tb-4 , the Dimarzio Fred and the PAF PRO

Can someone recommed us anything .

Thnx in advance
    Alfons

2. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

3. Alfons

Alfons Member

Naah I aint strictly into Metal. Need something more versatile .

4. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

5. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

6. Alfons

Alfons Member

I've already have a Bill Lawrence on my N2. I want something new on my custom guitar :D
    Any idea what type of sound will i get with the Dimarzio Steve's Special ??

7. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

depends on which Nuno model you have. Washburn put different pickups depending upon what was avail in stock. some are L-500 lookalikes. that's sort of how the SD Dime pickup came about.

you'd have to pull the pickup to confirm whether it's a genuine Bill Lawrence pickup or not

8. Alfons

Alfons Member

Yeah , I think its a lookalike. Still anything other than a Bill Lawrence ?

9. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

Hey there,...

I have a Steve's Special in a custom-build that i did about 10 years ago. Alder body/ maple cap with a rosewood on maple neck and fixed bridge. The Steve's Special is very hot, meant to be run through a wall of distortion. I've found it really loves to be run though more Fender/Boogie style amps as well.
    it retain note clarity even when heavily saturated... and splits very very well. I run it with an Air Norton in the neck, both with coil splitting, and have been dazzled with the results. It's my go-to guitar if i'm sitting in with a band and am not sure what kind of tones i'll need. When split, the S.S. does a great spanky clean or almost a bridge/middle strat sound. When run full-on, it rips.
    never muddy... ever. I've tried to make it so... trying to get that LP squishy-mid sound... never gonna happen with a Steve's Special.

does that help? if you're looking for samples, grab Awake or Falling Into Infinity by Dream Theater. Lots of different amp tones, all with a Steve's Special.

10. Alfons

Alfons Member

Oh thnx a lot.

11. Miles

Miles Member

Why do you want the least mids possible?? Sucking the mid-range out of a guitar=death.

I would have suggested a '57 classic, really versatile. Otherwise, you might as well stick w/ what you got and buy a boogie dual recto and scoop the mids all day long if you want that tone. It'll sound like complete toss, but to each their own.