Pickup recommendation - Epi Chet Atkins SST?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by trumpus, Jan 11, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey all,

Well I've had this Epiphone Chet Atkins since I was 16 (10 years now). I got it for my birthday back when i was really into Dave Matthews (obviously). I haven't played this guitar in about 4 years, as a friend had it, and when i got it back the pickup wasn't working, and the pots are scratchy.

[​IMG]

It's got some dings in the finish, but for a 10 year old guitar, it looks pretty good. Because of the sentimental value associated with this (i had to beg my mom to buy it for me, and it was a graduation gift) i don't want to sell or trade it. A while back, I had the frets ground and polished and theh action lowered, and it really does (no, really) play like a Gibson model, but it just doesn't sound as good.

I'd love to drop a new pickup in this little guy. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. trumpus

Bump! Anyone got any ideas?

Brian

3. trumpus

Bump - any suggestions at all - i know nothing about pickups, but i DO know that if i tried to sell this guitar, i wouldn't get anything for it, so i might as well fix her up and use it!!

Brian

4. webb

webb Member

From what I've read about the epiphone SST, The pickup is a piezo. Maybe someone in the acoustic forum could help you choose the right one.
    Good luck

5. trumpus

Thanks! I'll try over there!

Brian

6. trumpus

Bump - anyone??

7. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

you can probably use a fishman matrix under saddle transducer, it is also marketed as the Martin thinline 332, it is very rare for a pickup to just die, I suspect there is another issue with it. Hope this helps,
    Evan

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Piezos are pretty indestructable being under the bridge and all. It's a loose wire. Take it to a tech who'll fix it for $30.

9. dave251

dave251 Member

Does the guitar require a battery? If not, then the lack of a preamp is the big problem with tone. An "add on" buffering preamp will be required, unless you have the skill to build it in to the guitar. There are several varieties available.

You can choose from several saddle transducers...I heartily recommend the any of the modern "poly" type flexible pickups...much more "natural" sounding than the standard six-crystal types such as the Fishman recommended earlier.

With any of these options...you REALLY need a pro install.

And regarding the "crackly" pots....spray pot cleaner(radio shack) does wonders.....

Good luck...