Pickup recommendation - LP Traditional 2018

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Thrane, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Thrane

Thrane Member

Hi,
    My guitar has Burstbucker 1-2 stock. I need something with a little more output and balance.
    What can you suggest?
    I still want the vintage tone.
    Thanks.

2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I don't know.. those are pretty good pickups. Did you try adjusting the pickup height or pole piece heights? That can have a huge impact on tone. I wouldn't replace these already expensive pickups with another set, it probably isn't necessary unless you try making adjustments and still not satisfied.

3. rambleon

rambleon Supporting Member

For slightly more output but still within the PAF-like realm, I highly recommend the Bare Knuckle Black Dogs. Those sound killer in my gold top. I tried a bunch of different pickups by SD, Wolfetone, Gibson, and other Bare Knuckles too before I settled on these.

TubeStack likes this.
  4. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I love the Black Dogs in my LP, too.

rambleon likes this.
  5. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I've thought about switching the pickups in my Goldtop, but so far I've ended up leaving the 57 classics in it. When I was a kid I had a LP Studio with 59/JB...… I have fond memories of the JB, but it doesn't get much love online. I had a 59 in the bridge of another LP and it didn't have enough "bite" for me.... I do like it in the neck though.

I still want to get a LP classic without the snot green inlays, with a slim neck and a pair of Slash pickups. :tophat:

6. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

The JB is good with certain amps, otherwise it can be harsh IMO. A lot of modern amps don't need to be pushed with a really high output pickup.. so I think the JB can be swapped with a lot of different pickups now. Its still good though.. just depends on the application.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Adjust pickup heights and those little screw poles too.

Jabby92 likes this.
  8. Thrane

Thrane Member

Hi guys,
    Thanks for your comments.
    Maybe i should try out the Blacks Dogs, they sound pretty good to my ears. I can always return to the Burstbuckers, or other.

rambleon likes this.
  9. Jarick

Jarick Member

My favorite so far has been a pair of Suhr Thornbuckers. It's not any hotter but is balanced with no mud in the neck and no harshness in the bridge. Great middle position tone too.

Right now I have a set of Bare Knuckle Mules and they are also good, very balanced again, but a fatter tone. I've heard great things about the Mule neck and Black Dog bridge. I will likely go back to Thornbuckers but these are nice for sure.

10. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

Have thornbuckers in my standard. The bridge and middle positions sound good but the neck position is mud. I can't dial it out. I like the middle position so much I'm afraid of swapping the neck pickup out. I have the thornbucker plus in bridge and regular thornbucker in the neck.

11. naveed211

naveed211 Member

I love BB 1/2s, but if you’re not happy with those, I’d steer you to Wolfetone. They should have something that meets your desires.

The Legends I had were similar to (but better than) the BBs, and I’m confident he could cook up whatever you’re looking for.

12. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

I think Burstbuckers are great pups, but if you want more power and bite, more aggressive voicing, I would try the Duncan 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge, and maybe an 59 in the neck, esp if you don't want to pay boutique prices. For a Gibson brand pup I would try the 498t. In general, you sound like you want an Alnico 5.

13. Dale

Dale Member

I really like the BB1 BB2 in mine. they seem pretty balanced to me. If I wanted slightly more output I would go with the BB2 BB3 then.

[​IMG]

14. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

When you say "balance," are you referring to between the two pickups (as in, the common complaint about PAF types that the bridge is too thin and the neck too dark), or are you referring to string-to-string clarity? I'm guessing the latter since output is also a concern.

The stock 498t/490r set in my 93 Standard has a good balance of output while still sounding somewhat vintage, but it isn't really a vintage tone. It is more modern. I put UOA5 magnets in them and that helped, but they have never stayed in the guitar for very long. I prefer more vintage than that. You might love them, though. Some folks just swap the magnets between the pickup, putting the A5 in the neck and the A2 in the bridge. I think the UOA5 set is better because it gives the same balance of reducing output at the bridge and increasing it at the neck without getting the neck too bright and scooped.

A couple of other ways to go depending on how hot you want to go with the bridge. The Slash set from Seymour Duncan is "vintage hot," and it gives more punch from the bridge and more clarity from the neck than most PAF types. They are very warm and smooth, however, so if you want more of a traditional PAF tone, they are more of a facsimile than a clone. Someone above suggested Bare Knuckle Black Dogs, which I have considered myself, and Wolfetone, who is an amazing winder. From Wolfe, the Marshallheads might be just what you're after. They're unpotted like the BBs, but if you aren't having problems with feedback now, they might be just the ticket. If you want hotter than that, SD has the Custom/59 combo that is well regarded over on their forums. Bare Knuckle also has the Abraxas set which is similar to those and the 498/490 set in output.

I have not tried any of these, though I have a buddy with the Slash set in an Epiphone Les Paul, and they sound amazing. I played them side-by-side with my Custom Shop Pearly Gates set and they are roughly comparable, with the Pearlies having a fair bit more chime to them and the Slash set having a touch more output from the bridge. But those are some options.

Since I mentioned them, the Custom Shop Pearly Gates set is fantastic, and might do for what you're after. The problem I foresee is the bridge isn't so much "higher output" (it is, but barely), as it is more snarly, mid-heavy and raunchy. It gives a nice punch to the gut through a cooking Marshall, but it is a very vintage, PAF punch. The stock Pearlies are going to be in the same ballpark, but wax potted.

Mincer likes this.
  15. Thrane

Thrane Member

Thanks to all for replying. Very appreciatable.
    I'll use this thread as guideline if i decide to swap my pu's.

Have a great day!

16. modavis99

modavis99 Supporting Member - Silver

OP There are a LOT of threads on this issue and many pickups and pickup wonders have been discussed. I think that’s one reason you have received so few replies - we’re talked out.

Just do a simple search to uncover some of the earlier threads.

I’ll add the pickup winders frequently discussed on TGP for LPs are: Lollar, Bare Knuckle, Throbak, Wolfetone, Wizz, Manlius, Ox, Rio Grande, Sheptone, Zexcoil, DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan and my personal favorite WCR.