Pickup Recommendation Please: Hotter than a Gibson 498T, but not too bright. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skhan007, Dec 20, 2009.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

This is for the bridge position of my Historic Les Paul R0/G0, which I play through my Marshall in the style of AC/DC, Kiss, etc. I like the sound of the Gibson 498T, but I wish it had more crunch and oomph. I'm not looking for a brighter pickup like a Duncan JB or the Gibson 500T (which IIRC was high-endy). Just looking for more crunch and punch. Thick lows and mids would be great!

Based on descriptions that I've read, I was thinking maybe the high outptut Lindy Fralin humbucker, Gibson Angus Young, or maybe Wolfetone Timbrewolf. I've never played any of these, so I was hoping to hear some thoughts.

What do you guys like?

2. bettset

bettset Member

check out smits pickups. he has a variety of humbucking winds. the ones i have deliver the good tones :munch

3. karma1

karma1 Member

DiMarzio Tone Zone might be worth looking into for what you describe.

4. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I've got a Tom Anderson that fits the bill. Don't know the model. Carvin M22SD at 14K, Alnico V will definitely do it. My old Bartolini actives work. I'm thinking that even the SD P-Rail would be worth a look for what you're doing. And finally, maybe a DiMarzio Breed, though i think I like the neck pickup better than the bridge pickup.

5. rooster

rooster Member

I'm partial to the Bill Lawrence L-500L. This is the one from billlawrence.com, not from "Bill Lawrence USA."

If you want to hear one, PM me. I don't like posting my band links on the internet without asking the guys.

rooster.

6. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Don't do it--those 490 series Gibson pickups are great for that kind of music. I made that mistake years ago and have been kicking myself ever since. Buy another Paul eventually--Antiquities and BB Pros are both great so try some of those in your next one.
    At the very least save the 490s for WHEN you change your mind. BTW, the Angus PU is phenomenal also.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

wait, the R0 isn't going to have a 498T, is it? that should be a burstbucker 2, a rather bright and thin pickup for hard rock stuff. the 498 would actually be a lot fatter than the stock R0 pickup.

8. skhan007

Yes, I agree, the 498T is a great pickup. I'm keeping it in a different Les Paul (I have several Les Pauls) and want something similar, but more punchy in my R0. I also have a Les Paul with Antiquities and an R8 with BB 1 & 2. All great pickups.

Correct, my R0 came stock with BB 1 & 2. Looking for a thicker, fatter, punchier tone in the bridge. I have 498T & 490R in another of my Les Pauls and wanted a similar tone in my R0.

9. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

A Suhr Aldrich would fit the bill. Fat, thick and not shrill at all. For hard rock tones it canĀ“t be beaten.

10. Butterfly

Butterfly Gold Supporting Member

11. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

For Kiss are you more interested in Ace or Paul's tone? Ace = 100% DiMarzio Super Distortion. Of course I'm assuming you aren't aiming for Vinnie or Mark or Bruce.

How about putting in the 498T since you know you like the sound, but adding a parametric EQ so you can tweak in the spot in the mids where you want a stronger signal?

12. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

Dirty Fingers? Hot, not too bright (insert sexist joke here).
    I like them in a mahogany guitar.

13. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Duncan Custom Custom (SH 11) is an alnico 2 overwound, fairly hot pickup (14.4k ohm) that has a smooth top end & works well in bright guitars. It really sings sweetly & splits pretty well if you should want. Smooth is the operative word for this pup.

Dannyz likes this.
  14. Steve73

Steve73 Member

WCR Darkburst has got everything you are describing, at least in my LP.

15. Julia343

Julia343 Member

16. skhan007

Wow, thanks for all these recommendations! I'll do some homework on these various pickups.

Regarding the LPB1 suggestion above- is this a clean boost like a Zvex SHO or the Duncan Pickup Booster? Sounds interesting. I'm not really into pedals and would prefer to avoid them and let the guitar & amp do all the work, but what's your take on this LPB1?

17. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

The LPB-1 is not very clean; the SHO is worlds better. So is the Xotic EP-Pre, or many other clean boosts.

18. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

The LPB is a full range clean (sort of) boost. The signal coming out of it isn't clipped and fuzzy but it is a lot higher level than a pickup signal. Run one into a tube amp that is set a little bit crunchy, and it will overdrive the input stage and give a chainsaw tone. Which I like.

Unlike the SHO, it doesn't buffer the pickups. Instead it tends to load them like a Fuzz Face does, and it's high enough gain to run out of headroom. That's why I said 'sort of'. But that can have a thickening effect.

According to the Ace Frehley interview in GP a couple months back, he used an EH LPB-1 to push his amps when he was in Kiss.

19. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i woulda guessed a little hotter, but the idea is to call Jim Wagner & ask him

:cool:

20. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member