Pickup recommendations for an H-S-S configuration

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by YoungAmerican, Jun 24, 2018.

1. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Member

Hey all -

I have my eye on a guitar with an H-S-S pickup configuration, which is sort of uncharted territory for me. I'm probably going to want to swap out the stock pickups, but I've never had to shop for Strat-style single coils, or had to worry about how they'd balance with a humbucker.

I like round, bell-like low end and sparkly high end, and I tend to favor pickups that are voiced a little on the aggressive side but without compromising the clarity. Is what I'm describing something that can be found in a Strat-style single coil? Any suggestions on a humbucker that might pair well?

2. wye

wye Member

Dommenget HBSC and Kloppmann 60s or Duncan Antiquity Surfer II...get Alnico 5 magnets and low wound sc...very very cool.

The Fender Shawbucker and perhaps Suhr Thornbucker should also work, a friend tried the shawbucker and liked it....do not know these.

3. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

The Fralin SP43 fits that description. They lean towards the P90 sound but are still stratty IMHO.

4. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

I would try the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage 54 Pro for the neck (Bell like to a tee), Area 67 in the middle (stratty, sounds good in the 2 and 4 positions), and a PAF Pro at the Bridge.

5. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

TV Jones makes several pickups (Filtertron style and a humbucker) that will sit in that humbucker slot very nicely. The Humbucker sized ones (Classic, Powertron) and Univeral (or English) Mount ones (get the pickup rings) will fit humbucker slots.

I put Supertrons in my SG and I have TV Classics in my 6120. Both are very rock’n’roll with a sweet and gritty chime.

-bEn r.

6. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

My favorite HSS setup, to date is a Duncan '59 with two Texas Specials. I like the mids of the TSs and they pair up nicely with the 59. Plus, the TSs still have enough of that bell like tone played clean.

Gilwater, HiddenAgenda and Woowoo like this.
  7. Woowoo

Woowoo Member

I had one with 2 Texas Specials and a Duncan 59 Custom Hybrid. It was a very nice combination. Alternatively, I would consider Pearly Gates for the bridge.

Also, I would stir far away from Fender's "Atomic" humbucker (comes stock in some Fender HSS models). It is horrid.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  8. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Zexcoil Vintage Hot or SV5 for the sC's

9. Crimson92

Crimson92 Member

Seymour Duncan JB and two Texas Specials.

10. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

This thread is interesting, following

11. Mincer

Mincer Member

One option would be 2 Classic Strat Stacks, with a 59/Custom Hybrid. Great blend, and noiseless as well. I did a variation of this setup on a Warmoth I built.

zenmindbeginner and DiNiro like this.
  12. DiNiro

DiNiro Member

I think I took Mincer's advice on this thing and put a Duncan Custom with an Alnico 2 Pro single coil in the middle and a Quarter Pounder in the neck. It's a great mix for my Jake E Lee inspired partscaster.

Mincer likes this.
  13. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

On my Suhr Classic, I went with a DSV (dual screw vintage) bridge and V60lp's neck/middle. The DSV isn't overpowering, and also sounds very good in parallel mode. I did not split position #2 and it works for me well. I normally run the DSV in parallel mode until I need a bit more punch for a solo, then I flip it to series.

14. a person

a person Member

JB bridge, SSL-1 rwrp middle, SSL-1 neck. Balances great, and will give you a TON of tonal versatility.

Gilwater likes this.
  15. Pao

Pao Member

Agree with PAF Pro on the bridge, but if you want something darker, try Breed.

For the neck pickup, I'd say Air Norton if you want a double coil, single sized, but voiced like a single. If you want a single-coil with hum-cancelling, any of the virtual pickups will do.

I don't use the middle pickup a lot so I don't have any to suggest. But again, the DiMarzio virtual pickups are really good.

16. wye

wye Member

If you want the real deal sc i.e. sparkly bell like high end and deep contoured low end and dynamics, forget the mentioned jb, air norton, ssl-1 and texas special pus, I had these.....sound horrible in this regard.
    SRV never played Texas Specials, he used low output sc......to add his typical midrange he used a ts.

A problem using a HB with single coils, often there is a volume boost and midrange honk cutting highs and lows when switching to the HB (bridge)......Dommenget HBSC Bridge with a Stratmann (Germany) or Kloppmann 60s (Germany) or Duncan Surfer II are perfectly balanced....Stratmann A5 the most open sounding, a touch louder, Kloppmann a slightly more aggressive midrange......all three are very very good and priced accordingly....worth the money.

P90 are also a good idea.....most are too hot.....
    Overwound HBs (Paf pro, Air Norton, Jb) do not fit with vintage single coils...frequency and output wise.

Really aggressive is not a term I would associate with a Dommenget HBSC, nor my favourite mentioned single coils.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  17. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

Another set I liked was the one that came in the Yamaha Ty Tabor signature model. JB in the bridge - Duncan Vintage Rails in the neck and middle.

On the DiMarzio side, I LOVED the combo of... Air Zone in the bridge - Cruisers in the middle and neck.

The Texas Specials that I mentioned previously have more mids than the two noiseless pickups I just mentioned, but less volume - but the TS's seem to have a mojo and sweetness that I like.

18. TonemanCA

TonemanCA Member

A real warm not too hot PAF style in the bridge and slightly overwound 60's style Strats. I think those blend pretty well I've got the an HSS Blues set from Tone Specific and they told me it was like a 50's Humbucker + 60 singles.

I went through a lot of pickups getting that HSS Strat to balance. I tried a lot of off of the shelf stuff and it all sounded pretty good but it never the Humbucker and single never mixed just right. I would contact whoever your favorite maker of pickups is and ask them to make you a matched set.

19. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

I second the Pearly Gates suggestion. It worked well for me in a Strat using a 250k volume and no tone pot. Basically the stock Strat harness with a PG humbucker in the bridge.

Woowoo likes this.
  20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Mine is the pair of cool rails and a Seth Lover that I put in my Nightfly years ago. Nice volume balance and pretty authentic single coil sounds without the noise.