Pickup Recommendations Requested!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by billthemountain, Feb 13, 2012.

1. billthemountain

billthemountain Member

I've never bought pickups - always worried about buying, installing, and not liking (since you really don't get to test them like an amp in a music store).

My other guitarist has some Ibanez super 58's humbuckers in his Ibanez. I've noticed compared to his, my cheap stock Fender humbuckers aren't as bright. I'm looking for a brighter tone that cuts through well with Fender amps (right now I'm a little muddy), so instead of going on eBay and buying Ibanez pickups (which seem to me that other brands could be better at the "pickups" game), I was hoping someone could recommend something for me.

BTW, I'm a big fan of Trey Anastasio, who apparently uses Schallar Golden 50, so that's the kind of music I play.

I heard gibson 57's are good as well. Or something from a company I never heard of called Lollar?

2. Dale

Dale Member

Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio are the 2 biggest players I think. In the SD line the 59 neck and C5 bridge might get you what you are looking for though. Options abound though - each website has clips I believe.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

If it's a question of ' brightness ' check the pots in your guitar. 1 meg volume would be very bright, etc. but it's a LOT cheaper to swap pots than start swapping pups