Pickup Recommendations

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dhodgeh, Oct 10, 2006.

1. dhodgeh

dhodgeh Silver Supporting Member

OK, I just bought a guitar that is to be my 'experimental metal' axe.

It's an imported Jackson PS-2, which seems to be of a fairly good build, but I wanting to swap out the electronics.

It's a H-S-S config, with a 5 way switch, one volume, one tone.

This axe is going to be used in high gain situations for metal and hard rock.

So I'm looking for some advice as to what to start with as far as pickups are concerned.

I'm starting with a blank slate here, and am open to any and all suggestions.

Thx

D

2. sethmeister

sethmeister Member

Tons of great hi-gain pu's from DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan.

Then there's also EMG. I don't like EMG's but if you're into the newer metal stuff a lot of those guys are using them.

What kind of sound are you after? What guitarist's sound do you like most?

Do you want something with a very thick mid heavy lead sound? Something a bit more articulate and cleaner for chord work (DiMarzio Blaze perhaps)? Do you want a hot but slightly more classic sound like a PAF Pro? Or something with an EVH kind of flavor ( DiMarzio ToneZone or SD EVH)?

3. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

4. rooster

rooster Member

How about a couple Bill Lawrence L280S pickups for the neck and middle, and a L500L in the bridge?

rooster.

5. ungarn

ungarn Member

Seymour Duncan Live Wires...or WCR Iron Man...

\m/

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

My choice would be a DiMarzio Pro Track in the neck position (PAF-ish but slightly hotter and warmer), Fast Track 1 in the middle (single coil type sound for extra versatility, but hot enough to balance well with the other pu's) and Tone Zone in the bridge (very hot, fat and warm, turned a bandmate's alder Epi LP into a hard rock monster).