1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pickup replacement for ES339

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chimaera1982, Feb 13, 2009.

1. chimaera1982

chimaera1982 Member

Hi All

Would like to have some input for this. I have been trawling the search engine for sometime before asking this. Any good suggestions for pickup replacement for the Gibson ES-339. The classic 57 in it is pretty good but I was more looking for pickup which has a bit more air, i guess more PAF sounding. I play mostly blues/country influenced rock.
    Was thinking of a few, like Lollar Imperials (maybe the low winds?), Wolfetone Legends, WCR Crossroads and the WB Vintage tuned. Any other pickups I should look at? And what are your recommendations.

Regards

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

The 57 classics are great. Let me know if you want to sell them.

3. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I like the 57 Classics in the 339, but if you want more of a true PAF, I'd try Peter Florance Voodoos.

4. johnny_duke

johnny_duke Member

I would highly recommend replacing the pots before swapping out pickups. I have a 335 that came with 300k volume pots that just sound muddy then replaced with cts 500k pots ($5 each) and the clarity just came right through. The 57's are great pickups but change your pots first - might save you alot of money.

5. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

Did you just replace the volume pots with 500k and leave the tone pots with the 300's?
    thanks

6. johnny_duke

johnny_duke Member

yup, the tone pots were already 500k, the volumes were 300k. The guitar is a 1999 model and gibson was infamous for doing this, why i am not sure.