Pickup replacement for gibson es333

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by martyhk0, Jan 15, 2008.

1. martyhk0

martyhk0 Member

The pups in my es333 suck. I want to replace them to get that standard es335 sound. Access to nice warm blues sound and jazzy tones as well as classic rock.

My first and most obvious thought to accomplish this is to put in the '57 classics. However, I have heard some bad reviews on these pups.
    So, I am looking for everyone's feedback. Go with the 57's, or something else?

I put in a set of WCR pups (Darkburst/Crossroads set), but it did not give me the sound I wanted, so I am pulling them out and putting them in my 97 LP standard cause I hate the pups that are in there too. I think its the 498 and 500 and they are way too hot and not too clear for my liking.

2. Neil

Neil Member

I didnt like 57s (dull) in a les paul but in a 335 they are wonderful. Versatile with lots of breath and feel. Although this is based on 2 different sets of pups so there maybe some variability in them.

I have had Darkbursts in a les paul and a 336 (kind of like a 335) and liked them in the les paul (good rock tones), they were ok at best in the 336 (not woody enough). Again not conclusive data but hopefully this helps in your decision making.

3. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

my favorite that I have tried are the wbpickups.com Vintage or Vintage Hot Pafs (especially the 67-07 nos wire ones). The RS Fralins I had were very good as well.

4. Morgan Music

Morgan Music Gold Supporting Member Vendor

I replaced the pickups in my ES-333 with a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity's.

Problem solved. :)

5. martyhk0

martyhk0 Member

great info so far. thanks. you guys are giving me some good alternatives too