Pickup replacement for pre-'55 bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Frenster, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

Where can I get a replacement pickup for an old style (one pickup) P-bass? I have a client in here with a first year P-bass and he'd like to swap out the pickup. Just in case you were wondering, it's a family heirloom and isn't going anywhere.

2. docster

docster Member

3. EL 34 X2

EL 34 X2 Member

If the original pickup is weak, he could have it rewound. If he wants a different sound, he could probably have a new pickup wound with the character he desires, by any number of people.

If it were me, I'd want to keep it as near stock (no extra routing) as possible. But, if that's not an issue, there are numerous decent replacement pickups on the market; Fender or Seymour Duncan come to mind.

I've had Pete Biltoft (Vintage Vibe Guitars) build several pickup sets to my specs. All have been VERY good sounding, and quiet, as well as reasonablly priced. He may do bass pickups, as well. He's a great guy to deal with. Just my 2 cents.

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I've got one of the SCPB pickups from Duncan. It's not exactly "vintage" sounding- but it is a great pickup.

5. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

If there is nothing wrong with it he really shouldnt touch it.. if it has a problem he needs to have Lindy Fralin rewind it

6. Frenster

The bass has been in the family since '57 and he won't sell it, but he does want it to sound better. My thought was put the original pickup in the case and replace it with a Fender or Duncan or something. That way, at least the pickup is original, even if it has been removed.

7. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

8. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

See Fralin's latest bass offering. He's got one that do not buzz, too.

9. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

He should return the bass to the case .. go to guitar center.. and buy a bass that has the sound he is looking for. Even if removed it will affect the value. untouched is the way it needs to stay if there isnt a problem with it. For real... Dont do it

10. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

+1000

11. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I go with Bo. In fact, just removing the pickup could remove the tape that might be around the bobbin and that could break the wire. Keep it as it is. Go buy a used bass with upgraded PU's and call it a day. Its beyond a family heirloom issue, its worth too much money.

12. Zilmo

Zilmo Member

That's one I would hate to see messed with.

13. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

It's a production line bass, not a Picasso! Put a new pickup in it and play it. Put the original pickup away for safekeeping.

And to answer the OP's question, Seymour Duncan makes two or three drop-in replacements. Lollar makes one, Rio Grande makes a couple, there's bound to be a few more. And when you find one that sounds good and is very quiet, please post it here, I need to find one for my Sting! I've got a Duncan SCPB2 in mine and it sounds pretty good but isn't what I'd consider especially quiet.

14. Frenster

The client is going to keep the pup in the bass for now. We did unsolder the hot lead (the horror!) to check the output. 6.25k.

15. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

good to hear...to some of us, it may not be a Picasso, more like a Monet sketch.....

16. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

not to be a smartass, but there was no need to unsolder anything to measure the pickup. you wouldn't even need to open it up. just plug a guitar cable into it, turn the volume and tone all the way up, and measure across hot and ground of the other end of the cable.

and also, what could possibly sound better than what's in there now? (for that kind of bass, which will have that characteristic tone no matter what you put in there.)