Pickup rings on LP are misaligned. What can I do?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Juan Tuthri, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Juan Tuthri

Juan Tuthri Supporting Member

So I purchased a nice looking (from the pics) custom LP build Gold Top with humbuckers and a wraptail from a seller in another state. When it arrived something looked off and it had a big circular crack in the paint right under the bridge.

Ends up that the pickup rings were installed without any kind of measurements, they just eyeballed it and must have had bad eyes to begin with. The paint thing sucks too but I like the way it plays so I figure I'll keep it and try my best to get her to where she needs to be.

Anyhow, how can I re-align the pickups rings? The holes are off in a way that they would need to be filled with something hard so that when the screws are re-introduced they can't just fall right back into the old screw holes. They are real close. Superglue?

Should I just use bigger screws or will I end up with the same problem?

2. stratamania

stratamania Member

Use superglue or titebond and toothpicks or similar to fill the holes. You need a bit more than just glue I think. Then redrill once it's dry, refit rings into new holes.

I've done a similar thing before for a misaligned pickguard and used very fine walnut dowel with titebond for the job.

3. Juan Tuthri

Awesome, I'll give it a shot. You don't think the glue will break if the new hole ends up taking some of the space of the old holes?

4. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

Maple toothpicks with Titebond glue.

5. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Toothpicks are usually made of paper birch....

6. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Definitely use maple plugs (or toothpicks or dowels) if you can swing it. Given the hardness disparity between maple and paper birch, the softer material of regular toothpicks will suck your drill bit right back into the old hole.

7. Juan Tuthri

Damn, I know some of you guys have the talent for the mini dowel thing buy I'm not sure I do. I'll go buy some titebond and see what the selection of toothpicks looks like. We have a ritzy grocery not too far where canned tomatoes cost about $3-4 per can so maybe they have have nicer mahogany toothpicks. I'll let y'all know.

8. bob-i

bob-i Member

I've taken small dowels, put them a drill and sanded them down until they fit in the hole. It takes patience and you'll break some but it works.

Rod and Torren61 like this.
  9. jbert58

jbert58 Member

I've done exactly the same thing and it worked beautifully - "custom fitted dowels" :).

The trick to not breaking them is keeping the dowel length you are sanding fairly short (1-1.5 inches).

If there's a hobby shop near you that sells model planes they usually have smaller dowels (1/16 inch) than you'll find at most hardware stores.

Cheers,

Jbert

Torren61 likes this.