Pickup selectors??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by beachwail, Aug 29, 2005.

1. beachwail

beachwail Member

I have a Hamer Newport Pro that seems to have a faulty toggle switch (pickup selector). I'd like to just replace the thing if possible, but I'm having a tough time finding them online for sale. Nothing looks quite the same as the stock toggle.

Any advice?

Thanks!

2. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

Check out Allparts online catalog. See if any of the Switchcraft toggle switches pictured are a match. They have the long LP type and the shorter 335/SG type. They have another that appears to be sort of a right angle switch as well, although I haven't a clue what that one fits.

Is yours one of the boxy looking import type, or the traditional Gibson type toggle? If it the boxy import, you can replace it with the better Gibson (Switchcraft) type.

If any of the Allparts switches look right try ordering them here:

http://www.internetmusicsupply.com/

They're a little cheaper than directly from Allparts.

3. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

StewMac has a "short straight" one also . not a Switchcraft but seems pretty good . Be advised it has coarser threads if you're wanting to use your original nut for a hardware match .

4. beachwail

beachwail Member

Thanks for the info.

I have checked allparts and searched quite a bit on the internet. Problem is that none of them seem like a match with the Newport. It's a unique looking piece that uses pairs of metal stalks (think pair of tweezers) which are separated when the switch is toggled that direction. It's a sort of spring-loaded system that relies on the stiffness of each metal "stalk" (for lack of a better word here). Seems like they have become too flimsy and do not make a good tight connection.

5. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

That's the same principle that is used in the Switchcraft toggle switches. Your switch may be different in appearance, but it operates in the same way.

It's not so important that the new switch be exactly the same as the one you're replacing. In fact, a different brand of switch may actually be an upgrade. The important factors are the quality of the switch, the dimensions of the switch (so it fits in the cavity), and that it has the same functions (i.e., 3-way, 5-way, rotary, etc.).

I've replaced quite a few of the boxy, import 3-way switches with the Switchcraft 3-way toggles. They look totally different from each other, but the Switchcraft is definitely an upgrade in quality and function. I've done the same with many Strat 5-way switches as well, except that I replace those import switches with CRL, which is my preferred brand to use.

Unless it's really important to you to replace the switch with an OEM, I'd consider the appropriate Switchcraft model.