Pickup suggestion for a es335 copy

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 11justin22, Feb 18, 2012.

1. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

Have a ibanez as73 I'm wanting to upgrade the pickups in. I will be using it for classic to modern rock. Mostly kinda of a foo fighter type vibe. Also I play strats mostly so I don't want a "buttery" neck pickup, I wont like it. It needs to be clear and fairly bright.

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB set...the JB is plenty enough for Foo Fighters (both Dave and Chris use the JB now and again) and the Jazz is a rather toppy pickup for a humbucker.

3. Bill M

Bill M Member

M y RD-59 set has a very clear and articulate neck pickup, but yet is still full sounding.

4. cherrick

cherrick Member

Something cheap and used. Ebay.

5. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

Link I couldn't find an rd 59 set on your page

6. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

:huh ok thanks.....

7. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

WCR makes a slightly over wound neck pickup for Joe Bonnamassa. I have it as a set but you could buy just the neck pup. Quite good and crisp.

8. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

Not looking for something quite that expensive as it's a pretty cheap guitar.

Also.....looking for A bridge and neck pickup not just a neck

9. Sensates

Sensates Member

i have good results with Seth Lovers (softer, flatter response) and 59 (edgier, scooped mids). They can get pretty heavy with enough gain.

10. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Supporting Member

That's what I have in my '81 Ibanez AS-100. They work well for Foo Fighters style plus much more. They're my personal favorites in the "non-uber-boutique" offerings.

Not being a PU guru, I found Seymour Duncan's website comparison sound chart very helpful! You can clearly hear differences in tone between the models

11. NPP

NPP Member

I have a Duncan 59 in the bridge and a HB-sized P90 in the neck of my Sheraton. I am very happy with this combination. After playing nothing but Fenders for a decade I never got along with neck HBs and the P90 is the perfect solution for this problem.

I put these things into the guitar more than 15 years ago so nowadays there are many more options besides the Duncan but the general concept should work for you - classic PAF-voiced bridge and P90 neck.