Pickup suggestion for my LP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pseudohobbit, Dec 2, 2013.

1. goodwater

goodwater Member

I've tried a handful of PAF style PUs in LPs and my favorite have been Skatterbranes

2. fatcat87

fatcat87 Member

Lollar imperials humbuckers

3. Classic09

Classic09 Member

It all depends what you classify a low output. I've had Sd '59s, Dr Vintage, Legends, Crossroads, American Steele, Throbak SLE101 MXV LTD, Mules.

Of those the SLE101s were too low output and bright for my needs. American Steele were too high output.

The Legends and Crossroads are very good and I'd be happy with either. Curiosity got the better of me and I'm now on the Mules which are excellent pickups but I'm yet to gig with them.

4. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

If you're like me and think that PAF's are way too muddy in the neck, you can't go wrong with Seymour's favorite set.

John

5. Pseudohobbit

Pseudohobbit Supporting Member

I've read on TGP that the burstbuckers might overload Wamplers. Why is that if not for too-high output?

6. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

If Burstbuckers are too hot for any application, so are 90% of the humbuckers out there including most everything recommended in this thread. This whole discussion makes little sense because BBs are on the lower end of the spectrum for output.

7. djd35de

djd35de Member

Well I've tried Seymour Duncan, Jazz, JB, 59, seth lover and really Hate them all. I believe Lindy fralin makes the best pick ups. 8k/9k set is Great but if you want lower out put his Pure Pafs in 7.8k/8.2k are fantastic.

Also Dimarzio 36th will give most higher priced picks ups a run for their money. some costing three times as much.

I just went dimarzio on an LP classic, I did a magnet swap A4s in both and the tones are even more heavenly now.

Good luck

8. Mr. Papa

Mr. Papa Member

Word. Frankly, I hate Duncan humbuckers. DiMaz36ths are very nice, Fralin is rock solid. I would also suggest Sheptones and I hear Tom Shorts are great and I love Marc Ford's tone, but I have never heard them in 'real life'.