1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Pickup Suggestion Please

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by hot_tube_tone, Apr 25, 2008.

1. hot_tube_tone

hot_tube_tone Member

Hello there I have a Fender Telecaster that has a Full-sized Humbucker in the neck position and a regular Tele Bridge pickup. Right now the pickups are not balanced at all. I was wondering if anybody else has found a set of these pickups that are close to the same output. I am looking for a vintage style tone. I would like to find a Tele bridge pickup that would match a PAF style Humbucker.

[​IMG]

2. ncndude

ncndude Member

Vintage rock or vintage country type tone?

Are you going to replace the neck pickup also?

3. RockDC

RockDC Member

There are a lot of high output pups for tele single coils on the market... I wanted to experiment some with my tele so I found a well recommend and cheap company named GFS to buy from... I got a 62' in the Bridge with an output of 9.6k which should be close to most PAF if not more. Its sounds fabulous!

Don't know if this helps.

4. hot_tube_tone

hot_tube_tone Member

Vintage Rock tone (Keef and Chris Robinson (the Black Crowes)) and yes I want to replace both pickups. I have already changed the pots to 500K and replaced the tone cap with a .022. I also plan to replace the selector switch.

5. RockDC

RockDC Member

With that tele being a maple neck you may want to change that pot to 300K... the highs may take your head off. Otherwise look for a dark pickup especially for black crowes tone.

6. ncndude

ncndude Member

I like Dimarzio pikcups so here goes:

DP413 Tele Virtual Hot T Bridge, output: 230, Alnico 2 DC Resist: 9.34

DP190 Air Classic Neck, output: 206, Alnico 5, DC Resist: 8.34 [can be ordered with factory installed nickel cover]

By way of comparison the totally metal Dimarzio D-Activator X Bridge has an output rating of 500 which is completely over the top. :)

A PAF Pro runs about 300.

www.dimarzio.com

7. JUS1BEER

JUS1BEER Member

What type of pick up is in the neck ...I can not tell by the picture. Looks like a Harmonic Design Z-90, then again it could be my tired eyes. HD I hear makes a good bridge pup for a tele (I have only heard one) and if that is a z90 neck they might go together well. The comments I have heard are fat and vintage. Check his out his web page and yu can send Scott an email, he might have some suggestions.

8. abadiemet

abadiemet Member

Lollar pickups are a good option. An Imperial humbucker (possibly underwound) in the neck and a Special T in the bridge should work. Call him for suggestions.

I created a similar problem with a tele. I tried a Wolfetone Marshallhead in the neck position and a Don Mare Graf Airship Three in the bridge. Kept the 250 pots. I knew the pickups would not be balanced, but I wanted to see if I could make the combo work.

The neck position was a touch too dark and the bridge was extremely bright compared to the Lollar Special I previously had in the bridge. By adjusting pickup and polepiece heights I have it just about where it has become a great combination.

9. Monroe

Monroe Guest

+1 for the Lollar Imperial Low Wind in the neck.

10. hot_tube_tone

hot_tube_tone Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions I think that I will talk to Lollar and get a couple of his pickups.

11. supa_scoopa

supa_scoopa Member

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Lollar low-wind Imperial in the neck and Broadcaster bridge.