• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Pickup suggestions anybody?

cedjazz

I have a great guitar that I don't play because I don't really dig the tone of the JB humbucker in the bridge. The Frailins(blues) in the neck and middle are great, though. Looking for some suggestions here.

This custom guitar is strat shaped, mahogany body, flame maple top and neck(bolt on), rosewood fingerboard. SSH pickup config. I already have an alder body strat with a JB in the bridge so I want something tonally different and kinda unique with smooth highs and "throaty" horn-like mids. Does this make sense? Does it exist? is there a site where you can combine pickups and guitars virtually to hear the tone I'm chasing?

I dig the lead tones of cats like Greg Howe(recent), Scott Henderson, etc. I have OD's and distortion pedals by MP, BJF, etc. so I'm getting all my gain from my pedals.

Anyone here have any suggestions..

Thanks,

Cedjazz

Last edited:

countandduke

How about a Seymour Duncan 59 or even a DSV or DSH from Suhr? I have a DSV in a SSH guitar and the singles are Suhr FL's and the pickups all sound fantastic.

Not surprised you don't like the JB, I find that to be a love/hate pickup. If memory serves me correctly, that particular pickup has quite a bit of mids...

Good luck. I REALLY like Suhr pickups as well as Duncans but I think the Suhr's are a bit more......betta I guess you could say.

You might even try to find a Seymour EVH pickup used or maybe even a custom custom.

Chris

Kingbeegtrs

Lollar makes an imperial humbucker with "fender" spacing so that it correctly lines up. If that pickup isn't good enough I just don't know what to say. You can get it overwound, regular wind, or underwound - so the options are there.

Southern ILL

Let me second Lollars and I say go with a lower wind...but I like pups in the P-90 range....the lower winds don't mean less balls either.....they seen to work better for me in the R&R....Rich Robinson....Mike Ness.....Malcolm kinda way.

cedjazz

Lollars? I'll check them out too. Too bad there's not an easy way you can plug in a pickup and quick test it. Maybe a website where you could "virtually" design your guitar based on body types, woods, pickups, scale length,etc. I've liked JB's in my alder body guitars but the JB is a bit hot and bright for a maple/mahogany combo.

I'll also check out SD's forum. Thanks all. Much appreciate the info.

Red Suede

Seymour Duncan Custom Custom or the Allan Holdsworth. Fat and warm pickups. I broke the tape that had the tone of the Custom Custom coming through a Marshall mounted in my all maple Valley Arts Custom Pro or I could send you it's recorded tone. warmed it right up. I imagine either of these would sound great in your guitar. I custom ordered an EVH for the bridge and a double screw 59 for the neck of my Valley Arts guitar and it sounds good, although i'm debating putting the Holdsworth back in the bridge.

Peter Florance's Voodoo series may also be worth checking out. I'm sure if you gave Peter a call or email, he could help you in your quest for tone.

Deadduck

How about a Duncan Seth Lover? They're closer to the PAF sound, and not as hot as the JB. I don't know how they would sound in a Strat type guitar though.

cedjazz

Anyone know what type of woods Allan Holdsworth uses/prefers in his guitars? I dig his tone but there little/no pick attack. Maybe I need heavier gauge strings, using 10's now. Maybe I need to go to 11's to get that warmer tone out of a maple top/mahogany body guitar.

Trending Topics