pickup suggestions for a hotter tele bridge pickup please

scr@tchy

Something with PAF type mids but still give some single coil detail and pick attack?

Thanks

Palladio

Platinum Supporting Member
You'll get lots of good answers here but I'd humbly suggest calling Don Mare.

He'll wind you a one of his 0038's or whatever he calls them and you will be happy.

Just my two cents as a guy who owns several 1950's Gibsons with P90's and has swapped a boatload of pickups into my tele trying to get exactly what you described.

stephenwz968

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Manlius Stump Grinder in my Rosser Esquire, sounds like what you're looking for - I'm using a 500k pot now, but will be switching to a 300k to tame the brightness just a bit.

SPROING!

I was surprised at my first use of a Duncan Broadcaster pickup. Much hotter, less twang, more mids than the typical tele pickup. Sounded more like a P90 than a tele.

straightblues

You'll get lots of good answers here but I'd humbly suggest calling Don Mare.

He'll wind you a one of his 0038's or whatever he calls them and you will be happy.

Just my two cents as a guy who owns several 1950's Gibsons with P90's and has swapped a boatload of pickups into my tele trying to get exactly what you described.
I agree, Don Mare winds amazing tele pickups. He actually makes one hotter than the 0038 that would probably be better for you. Call him up and talk to him and let him suggest the right pickup for you.

Stig Ø

It sounds crazy, but I think that the original bridge pickup in the Am Std Tele, does just that. This is the reason I changed it, but to my mind it fits your description perfectly.

loudboy

I've had a Bill Lawrence blade-type thingie in my Esquire, and I think it sounds great.

scr@tchy

What do the 500K pots do? I have the Lil 59 in a strat and love it, going to put it in my Tele too.
The higher the value pot the more highs and detail you get from the pickup, is the basic answer. If I like the character of a pickup but it is a little too dark or bright I can tweak it by switching out the pots, one of my guitars has 500k pots on the volumes and 1meg pots on the tones because they just needed a little bit more detail.

Thanks all for the replies, I'll be up late tonight taking a look and figuring it out

Polynitro

rumpelstiltskin 1950..its an early broadcaster pickup.
lots of mids for growl yet still twangs with the best of them.
bets tele pickup ive ever played and ive tried a lot.
the best part is they are cheap. I paid $124 for a set several years ago. Not sure how much they are now.
and turnaround was a few days, not this weeks/months/years/wait-listed nonsense.

get the nickel-silver cover on the neck for clarity
and also get the 3rd ground on the cover for 4way switching-these kill in-series

Trending Topics