Pickup Suggestions for an SG

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
Always been more of a single player guy, so taking on the world of options in humbuckers is a little overwhelming. I have a 99 SG standard that I play through a Vox AC15HW1 with a blue.

The guitar came stock with the 490/498 combo which I wasn't a huge fan of. The neck wasn't all that bad, but the bridge was way too hot for me. I then put in a set of D Allen Alleycats, which didn't quite do it either. They are low wind ( 6.8/7.8 ) alnico II pickups and while they probably sound phenomenal in a thicker and maple capped LP body - they just lacked a little in an SG.

So I'm thinking i may want to find a clean and clear A5 PAF set now. I do care a lot about the cleans and want something with detail and sparkle. When pushed I like to throw on some fuzz and Slapback for a blues rock a la Black Keysish sound. Budget is $200 max (used prices) and would prefer to be around 150-175 instead.

Can anyone suggest anything they've put in an SG, and not an LP, and really liked?

Highway Chile

I have almost the same setup (I have a 2000 SG Standard that I'm playing through a VOX AC15TBX (Korg era) with a 12 inch Blue). I bought the guitar in 2000 when it was new and I've been rocking the 490/498t set ever since. This is a good pickup setup for me, but it's not for everyone. My Les Paul has the BB pro set. You may want to try that as the 57 classics are not A5 and may be too flabby in the bass. YMMV.

jimpridx

Silver Supporting Member
I'll have to admit that I like the '57 Classics in an SG, too. I tried a few nice pickup sets that just didn't seem to settle quite right in my SG, but I felt at home with the '57s.

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
my favorite set is the dimarzio 36th anni.

Theyre not a good set for the money, theyre a good set period

Jason_77

I was pleasantly surprised by the 57s in my SG as I wasn't too crazy about them in my LP. I'd also recommend the BB1/BB2 combo and the DiMarzio 36ths.

mleffler

Gold Supporting Member
I've had 57 classics in my SG and they were great. But I have that sound on a couple of other guitars too, so I installed a pair of SD Phat Cats (humbucker size P-90s). I love them and always get compliments on the tone of that guitar.

Snottyboy

I play my SG clean quite a bit and prefer Duncan 59n/Custom 5 bridge over several other pickups I've tried. Custom 5 is kind of like a hotter 59, and I would imagine a 59 bridge would be a solid choice, too. Excellent clarity with good top end. Great dirty, too.

FattMetheny

Always been more of a single player guy, so taking on the world of options in humbuckers is a little overwhelming. I have a 99 SG standard that I play through a Vox AC15HW1 with a blue.

The guitar came stock with the 490/498 combo which I wasn't a huge fan of. The neck wasn't all that bad, but the bridge was way too hot for me. I then put in a set of D Allen Alleycats, which didn't quite do it either. They are low wind ( 6.8/7.8 ) alnico II pickups and while they probably sound phenomenal in a thicker and maple capped LP body - they just lacked a little in an SG.

So I'm thinking i may want to find a clean and clear A5 PAF set now. I do care a lot about the cleans and want something with detail and sparkle. When pushed I like to throw on some fuzz and Slapback for a blues rock a la Black Keysish sound. Budget is $200 max (used prices) and would prefer to be around 150-175 instead.

Can anyone suggest anything they've put in an SG, and not an LP, and really liked?
You missed the Best Buy Christmas sale, they were selling Gibson 57 classics for something like $60 each.

Having said that, I personally hate the 490/498 pair. My SG still has them, but I replaced the 490/498 pair in my Les Paul, with Manlius HR59s. The HR59s kick Classic 57 butt IMHO. About $200 pair, with covers. For an SG, I'd probably want a bit lower output pickup, like the Hot Dianne or Landmark.
http://manliusguitar.com/Humbuckers.html

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Solid body mahogany just does not handle higher output pickups like a maple topped guitar body will (unless you heading into full time overdrive/fuzz world). My favorites, by far on an SG are Lollar low wind imperials.

Evan_R

Silver Supporting Member
I personally am not thrilled with the 57 classics in my SG. I've been looking into pickups for a while now to replace them and I'm leaning towards Porter Pickups Anthems. Maybe a Classic in the neck. It's hard to pull the trigger since it's pretty much a gamble.

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
already swapped to 500k volume pots (tone was already 500k). The guitar definitely is not bright. I got a couple of good ideas from Mick at Manlius so I'll probably go that direction. I've always wanted to try a set of his anyways.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
my favorite set is the dimarzio 36th anni.

Theyre not a good set for the money, theyre a good set period
My favorites also.

I had two reissue SGs, on with 57 Classics, one with Dimarzio 36ths.
The Dimarzios are SO much better.

buddhuu

I like P90 type tones so I'd suggest P94s or similar: P90 type single coils in humbucker-sized format. Tonerider Rebel 90s are great for the price.

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
Pulled the trigger on some Manlius Landmarks. Overwound bridge and standard neck. Swapped the A2 for short A5. Mick was really helpful!

FattMetheny

Pulled the trigger on some Manlius Landmarks. Overwound bridge and standard neck. Swapped the A2 for short A5. Mick was really helpful!
I'm very interested in this. The Landmark being the least hot pickup, but you went for the stronger A5 magnets. I think you'll immediately notice a more woody, 1960s type sound than the 490/498 pair. I suspect they'll be brighter.

I was thinking of the Fat Dianne pair for my SG.

Trending Topics