Pickup Suggestions for an SG

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheWayfarer84, Jan 20, 2014.

1. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

I was on the fence between the Landmarks with a slightly hotter wind in the bridge and A5, or the stock Fat Dianes, possibly with an A5 swap. Ultimately I would rather error on slightly underwound vs over.

I'd still like a set of FAT Dianes at some point too.

2. 73Fender

73Fender Member

There was a pair in the emporium here, last i looked..

3. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

'57 Classic/BB3 is my favorite SG combo.

4. rummy

rummy Member

I'm enjoying Fralin Pure PAFs in an SG standard.

5. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

Gotta agree with this. I personally don't like A5 in SGs, I find it a little scoopy, so I'd personally go A2 to fill out those gorgeous mids and round off the top, but YMMV.

6. TheWayfarer84

I believe they are A5 short rough cast which aren't as bright as some A5. And if they end up being too bright, I can easily swap them for A4 or even UOA5. I wanted to err on the side of bright and detailed vs middy and round.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  7. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I'm considering those Fralin Pure PAF's (or maybe his humbucker sized P90 or P92) for the neck slot on my SG Faded. I'm pretty sure I'll stick a TV Jones Classic in the bridge.

I'm not entirely decided yet but am researching options.

I play in a band that does alt-country-ish folk / rock stuff so some cleanish jangle and twang that will *not* disappear in a dense band mix is what I'm after.

The 490R/490T are just not my thing even after upgrading pots and tone caps and lowering the pickups and raising the pole pieces. The neck is a bit dull and the bridge is just thin and "meh".

-bEn r.

8. mcgruff

mcgruff Senior Member

I think you're on the right track. The alleycats you had were very low wind for humbuckers but to get the kind of tones in the vid you don't want to go too far the other way.

Swapping a few magnets in and out should nail it. Make sure you try some Alnico II as well as the others. It will be a lot better than you think in the new winds. IMO A5 is a bit too strong for PAF-type pickups. If they're a bit harsh, dropping down a notch or two should bring back some sweetness for that chewy crunch kind of sound.

9. welmo

welmo Member

Love the Pearly Gates set in my SG.

10. merriweather69

merriweather69 Member

57 Classic + in bridge, 57Classic in neck is one of my favorite combo's in an SG, ES-335, or Les Paul, also like the Burstbucker 1 and 2 combo - hotter p/u in bridge of course. I've heard P94's in an SG if your looking for more of a P90 sound, and P94's in an SG or LP are a great combo, great pick-ups!

11. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

I like alnico 5 pickups in a SG for that Clapton with Cream sound. Maybe some Duncan 59's?

12. TheWayfarer84

Another tone I really like which influenced the A5 choice

13. mcgruff

mcgruff Senior Member

A5 will be tighter and punchier relative to a weaker magnet in the same coil but note that's a comparative statement: it doesn't mean A5 will always create a tight and punchy sound in any coil. In some (lower) winds it might be very thin and harsh; in others it might even be muddy and dull. You have to consider the effect of magnet strength in the context of a specific coil. If you're looking for just the right balance between body and bite, reducing the number of turns of wire in the coil pushes you towards weaker magnets, and vice versa.

14. TheWayfarer84

Just wanted to follow up and say that the custom Manlius Landmark set I ordered (7.5K neck, 8.1K bridge with short A5 magnets) came out absolutely perfect. PAF with just a little more attitude. Thick bass, definitely not too bright, great string separation, really sensitive to pole piece adjustments. These pickups are flat out incredible!

15. Evan_R

Evan_R Supporting Member

Thanks for the update, I'm going to look into these. :aok

16. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

I also have an SG and an AC15HW1x. My SG has 57 Classics, which I think is a great match for that guitar in the bridge, which is what I normally use when playing it. I also have a Sheraton II with a Dimarzio 36th in bridge and Air Classic in the neck. I haven't tried either in the SG but I'd suspect the 36th to be a little too middy in the SG bridge, but the Air Classic is the clearest, most dynamic, almost single-coilish neck pickup I've played. I think it could be a great choice in the neck of an SG and as a go-to pickup for cleans. That said, I don't think great cleans are in the SG's DNA - it just wants to be raw and nasty IME.

17. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've got SD Antiquities in my '73 and they sound nice.

18. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I had two SGs, one with 57s, the other with 36ths.
    I preferred the 36th over the 57 in the bridge & neck.
    Definitely not to middy.
    Much more punchy than the 57.

19. SlumFrog

SlumFrog Member

I absolutely hate a BB3 in an SG. Makes the SG sound bland and lacking something imo.