Pickup suggestions for US Strat HSS

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by oacikgoz, Mar 16, 2008.

1. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Hi everybody,

I own a US Fender Strat HSS with floyd rose bridge. My guitar came with 2 Fender standard single coils and a Dimarzio Paf Pro humbucker in the bridge. My problem is that although I love the Fender single coil tone on the neck position, the output levels of the humbucker and the single coil have a large difference. When I raise the single coil, I get the output I want but the low E and A stings sound weird due to magnet effect. What would you suggest as a neck pickup replacement that has VERY similar tone to Fender single coils yet has higher output. Lower noise levels is desirable of course. I never use the middle pickup so that stays where it is.

To my understanding, Fender chose Dimarzio Paf Pro because of its trebly tone that goes very well with single coils and I agree that it's an excellent choice for a strat.

Thanks a lot.

2. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

3. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

Check out for Tom Anderson pickups!

4. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

I think a Dimarzio would be a better match with another Dimarzio. Which dimarzio single coil would you suggest that would go well with Paf Pro?

5. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Look up "The Definitive H/S/S thread" on here. There's a copy of the Suhr schematic to make hums and singles play nice together.

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Ditto the above. I have one fat Strat with Suhr DSV/V60LP's and one with Fralin PAF/Blues Specials and I use the Suhr schematic for both and they both sound awesome.

7. Structo

Structo Member

I have the Dimarzio Tone Zone humbucker in the bridge position on two of my strats that are H/S/S.
    They are both wired in the Lonestar config with a coil split in #2 and the second tone control for the bridge and the first tone for the neck pickup.

On one I have the Fender Hot Noiseless in the neck and middle and on the other strat I have the Dimarzio Area 58's which are noiseless as well.

I figure since I have humbucker in the bridge it didn't make sense to use a standard single coil in the other spots.

With each of the setups the pickups balance nicely, which is strange because the Tone Zone has a DC resistance of 17.31 k and the Areas have a DC r of 6.12k ohms.
    But they play nice together.

8. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Hey Structo, I have a Tone Zone in the bridge of my HSS as well and love it. Have fender SCN singles in the neck and middle for a noisless set up also. You are right, I am surprised at how well the TZ balances with the numbers so high on paper.