Pickup suggestions to upgrade from the ol' JB/59 combo

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RSRD, Oct 17, 2005.

1. RSRD

RSRD Member

I'm gonna try out different pickups in my Hamer Korina Vector which currently has the good old jb/59 combonation. I'm looking for pickups that are meatier and maybe a bit more 'woody' in the neck and middle postition and for the bridge something that is a bit more agressive without gaining too much treble. I play hard, heavy, progressive type rock thru a bogner shiva half stack.

I would like to keep the pickups under $100 each. I know alot of people cry out for the WCR but I'm not blowing $300+ for a set of pickups. Sorry.

Thanks for any suggestions and descriptions of your suggestions :)

Thomas

2. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

Wow, Ithink the JB has plenty of bite n' snarl for a stock pickup. In fact, I like my gain from my amp, not my guitar, so I use a 59/59 in my Korina Vector (though I do like the JB). Obviously, you must use a lot more gain than I do. So, I guess I have no recommendation after all...:)
    Good luck on the hunt!
    gregc

3. RSRD

RSRD Member

I guess I shoulda mentioned that I dial the shivas OD gain to the max and keep the boost on at all times. I love my amp and am not intererested in another. But I'm always looking to squeeze just a bit more gain out of it. So pickups become very important to push my OD setting without loosing tone. The JB is nice. I just wanna know if there is a better option. I've never researched pickups before...this will be a good learning experience.

Thanks

thomas

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Hottest pickup I ever used was a Seymour Duncan 'Invader'. Simply crushing. Actually sounded pretty good though, but it was sometimes tough to get a sparkly clean sound out of it :)

--chiba

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

iono I love the 59/59 JB/59 combo ..
    Maybe could go Dimarzio? Tone Zone/Air Norton?

6. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Invader. I used to use it in an LP through a Shiva and it will pummel the front end of your Bogner.

I've got a used Invader Bridge for sale if you are interested.

jes1680@yahoo.com

7. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Member

I have always liked the Duncan Custom Custom, the Custom, or the Custom 5 in the bridge.

I would also suggest you look at some of the Suhr pickups. The SSH+ rips in the bridge.

Both brands would fit into your budget and should get the job done.

8. tommyg

tommyg Member

Try Jeff at HighOrder Pickups www.highorderpickups.com. He handwinds pickups to your specifications and they cost $55 a piece.

I have them and swear they are the most amazing pickups I'e ever heard.

9. jgraham

jgraham Member

Robs got an Invader in the black LP... sometimes it sounds good, sometime it doesn't. Personally I think it is a pickup that is designed to compensate for 1. a non-resonant guitar or 2. a so-so amp.

What about an Anderson H2+ like the Cobra has? Thats what I have in my Explorer now and it is definitely hotter than the JB, but seems to be more 'clear' sounding across the spectrum. Probably my favorite pickup. I've got a Rio Grande BBQ too, if you want to try that out, but its a Zebra.

10. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

I was going to recommend a Tone Zone in the bridge, as well. It's sort of like a JB, but with more early EVH dialed in. It definitley slams the front end of your amp a little harder, but gives you a little more sparkle at high gain. That said, I prefer the cleans of the bridge JB . Just my opinion, though! It's cheap enough to give it a try, and sell it if it doesn't blow your hair back. Best of luck with your quest!

-db