Pickup swap in a Dot?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Twangmaster, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Twangmaster

Twangmaster Member

ok, so i'm cheap, and can't afford a 335. So I got an Epi Dot. Plays nice, but I want to change the PUP's. Is anyone aware of a website or other source that can point me in the right direction to actually do the work myself?

oh yeah.. thinking of Duncan 57's as the first choice. Any other recommendations on pickups?

Thanks!

2. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Umm... do a search for "WCR" or "CR Coils" or "Jim Wagner" here and you'll find what many think are a no-brainer. Expensive, but worth it. With a 335, it seems the Crossroads or Goodwood set would be the way to go.

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I did a p'up swap on a Dot. Ended up with a great sounding guitar for not a lot of money. I used Duncan Seth Lovers. Kind of pricey for the guitar, but they sounded killer. If I were to do it over again, I'd probably go with Duncan '59s, they're priced more in line with the guitar's cost. Gibson '57 Classics sound great in semi-hollow guitars like this too.

4. Twangmaster

Twangmaster Member

Thanks for the pickup ideas, I'm doing some research on them now... but what I really want to know is how do I get my big-a** soldering gun through those cute little f-holes? do you really have to pull the new leads in with string or something, pull the pots and switch, and wire them up that way?

5. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

You have to pull all the guts out to do it right. If you're going to go to all the trouble of doing that, replace the pots, switch, and jack with quality components, like CTS and Switchcraft.

6. kwaves99

kwaves99 Member

you might think about Z-90's from Harmonic design. I put them in an Ibanez artcore as-73 (also a 335 copy) and also put in a better jack, better pots and a bone nut and now I have a killer guitar.

Jeff

7. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Second the Seth Lover recommendation...

On wiring, as they said, it's easiest if it's done outside the guitar... take the knobs off, undo the jack, and take everything out through the pickup holes... then use string tied to the pots to pull them back through the right holes when you're done...

8. alderbody

alderbody Member

that's what i did with my Epi Dot and now i have a guitar i really love!

:AOK

9. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

what i have found to work well is to tie dental floss onto the pot and switch shafts before removing, leaving a lot of spare legnth, then pulling them out through the f-hole. i then tape the dental floss down to the guitar top so it doesn't fall out. when i am ready to reinstall, i then fish the pots and switch back in...use a pair of needle-nose pliers to grab and guide the pot and switch back through the holes if neccessary. Switchcraft and CTS upgrades are worthwhile investments, as stated above, since you have to pull all the stuff anyway.