• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pickup to cure nasally sounding guitar

dazco

I already asked this but in a way that was maybe too confusing so lets try this again. Who has has a nasally sounding guitar and what lower (PAF level) output humbucker helped balance out the frequency curve. Not looking to pay boutique prices, and really looking for opinions from those who've been thru this exact thing.

Defendant

Silver Supporting Member
Perhaps a Duncan jazz or a dimarzio Steve's Special.

But honestly I've found that if a guitar sounds a particular way, then swapping pickups only changes the sound a small amount, especially if you're talking about swapping out pickups that have similar output to what you already have.

If you have overwound pickups right now, then lower output pickups can deliver more of the guitar's natural top end, lending the appearance that the mids are less prominent.

But a different guitar will likely be the most satisfying solution in the long run.

Stacatto

Great discussion, while we're at it, were talking about sounding too middy, or nasally/honky, and muddy in the lows, right?

In no particular order:
1. Dimarzio 36th Anniversary (DP-103)
2. Seymour Duncan '59 (SH-1)
3. Seymour Duncan Jazz (SH-2)

dazco

Great discussion, while we're at it, were talking about sounding too middy, or nasally/honky, and muddy in the lows, right?

In no particular order:
1. Dimarzio 36th Anniversary (DP-103)
2. Seymour Duncan '59 (SH-1)
3. Seymour Duncan Jazz (SH-2)
Yes, thats about right, and the 36ths are definately a contender. But i tried them when i first got the guitar and felt they were rather thin and lacking in sustain. But i liked the guitar's tone aside from wanting a more open sound and those seemed to remove too much of that fat mid tone. Like they went much too far in the right direction if that makes sense. I just want to attenuate the mids a bit because the guitar had too much of that. But i think my mindset has changed and i think it's possible I may get on with the 36th's if i try them now. It's a PRS Santana SE and it definately has that Santana mid tone he has. Anyways, i'm considering trying the 36th's again. As for the 59, i've tried those and don't like them. Somehow i never seem to like anything from duncan and have pretty much given up trying.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
EQ with a sweep mid. Set the mids to cut and slowly adjust the center frequency until the peak drops out.

dazco

How do you know i don't have a lot of amps? Trust me, thats not even remotely the issue. Plus I have many guitars none of which have that sound.

EQ with a sweep mid. Set the mids to cut and slowly adjust the center frequency until the peak drops out.
Yeah, i know but there are several reasons i don't wanna do that. new amp.

TheClev

As seen on TV
Perhaps a Duncan jazz or a dimarzio Steve's Special.

But honestly I've found that if a guitar sounds a particular way, then swapping pickups only changes the sound a small amount, especially if you're talking about swapping out pickups that have similar output to what you already have.
+1 on the Steve's Special, which was incapable of sounding nasally when I used one. Also, ditto what Defendant said about pickup swaps.

dazco

What pickup is in there now?
RH factor A5. (mag swap...the WERE A4) They are PAF style and about 8k for the bridge. The stocks were A2 which i don't like and they tend to accentuate the mids anyways. I also tried the 36th's and a duncan 59/custom hybrid. The hybrid came close but i didn't like it overall which as i said seems to always happen to me with duncans. The 36th's....well, read above. As much as i dislike duncans, you guys are making me wanna try the 59. Had it in one guitar a few years ago and hated it. But it DOES have the right specs so maybe in this one....who knows. But in 4 decades of playing i bonded with a duncan ONE time ! And that was way back in the day when i understood tone about as well as women. But you're all making me lean towards giving them another shot. (probably kick myself and tell myself to try and listen to my better judgment)

minorseventh

I had a nasally explorer and it was the worst. I tried lots of pickups and the only one that semi worked was a tonezone. sometimes you just get a hunk of bad wood.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
You might try one more mag swap - an A8 in the RH Factor. A5 helps thin the mids, but sometimes makes the bass too prominent.

My other suggestion would be a lower wind with an A4 - maybe a Seth Lover with an A4 swapped in.

Top Bottom