Pickup troubles on a Martin DC-1E

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Kenfree, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Kenfree

Kenfree Member

So I've got an early 90's Martin DC-1E with Fishman Electronics, that I've had forever. It's always been a great guitar and has never given me any issues until recently. In the past six months the pickup has decided to barely register the D and G strings. Everything else comes out bright and clear except for those two strings. I've tried adjusting the EQ all over the place, new strings, batteries and different cords all with no luck. I'm currently living in South Korea and did not bring my amp with me, so unfortunately the only chance I have had to really figure out what is going on is before gigs. Either way I've had to just work around it.

My question is, is there anything I can do to fix this on my own? Like I said I am currently living in South Korea so my options on local shops are pretty limited to say the least. Also if I have to order another pickup it's going to cost me an additional $75 just to get the thing shipped to me here. Thanks in advance for any help anybody might have. I might be overlooking something really simple, it's just been incredibly frustrating to not be able to walk into the shop and talk to my normal tech.

2. McStrats

McStrats Member

I'm not a luthier but I think I might know what the problem is.

It sounds like an uneven saddle bottom that is making less contact under the strings that aren't resonating. Take out the saddle and sit it 'right side up' on a piece of glass. Turn off the lights and shine a flashlight at the bottom surface that is sitting on the glass. If you see light coming through unevenly that is probably the problem.

3. Kenfree

Kenfree Member

Much appreciated. I'll have to give it a try this weekend. If it is that issues, what is my best rout for fixing it with limited tools?

4. McStrats

McStrats Member

A perfectly flat surface and a sheet of 180 grit sandpaper. I use a piece of window glass as a surface. Lay the sandpaper flat on the glass and hold the saddle 'right side up' and move it back and forth over the sandpaper. Sand it until it is perfectly flat. If you end up sanding it too much just get a few spare saddles..they don't cost much.

Again, I'm not a luthier but this works for me.