Pickup value question (Goodwood)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dascher, Feb 25, 2012.

1. dascher

dascher Member

I'm looking at picking up a pair of 8 year old Goodwoods (pre Godwood). Wondering how much boutique pickups like this retain their value. If I dont want them anymore in a few months I'd like to get the same amount but am not sure about the resale market.

2. Navigator

Navigator Supporting Member

Well, I picked up a bridge Goodwood for $105 a little more than a year ago, which I considered a pretty good deal, especially considering how often/rarely they come up for sale used. My sense is that the value of boutique pickups (and products in general) is that much of it depends on the popularity and overall reputation of the product over time. That is to say, to what extent has it become a "classic" or not. Classic reputation = sustained value (relatively speaking). For instance, I'm sure that Jim's (WCR's) Fillmore is a great pickup, but it doesn't seem to have the reputation and classic status that the Goodwood/Godwood has seemingly been able to achieve. Note too, that it appears that WCR has pretty much re-released the pre-Godwood Goodwood as the Cherrybucker.

Having said that, the same goes for the manufacturer in general, and a product from a maker of established quality such as WCR goes a long way towards people's sense of the value of their products, new or used. Hope that helps!

Hey, just reread your question. The Cherrybucker (Goodwood) set sells new for $325. I wouldn't pay any more than 75% of new price for gear when buying used. $243.75 is 75% of $325, so I personally would see $250 or so as a price that I might go for. Good luck with your pickup search!