• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pickup wiring question

mxandmyax

I am about to be wireing up a jag I built.

I am planing to do 2 Lollar Imperial Low winds in it.

So I want to do one volume and one tone and a coil tap.

Where should I start to look for a diagram like this? Or could you guys explain to me easily enough how to do it? Thanks a ton in advance!

New question.... using the diagram. is there a way to (when the single coil is engaged) add an out of phase switch to get a position 2 or 4 strat sound

Last edited:

mxandmyax

New question.... using the above diagram. is there a way to (when the single coil is engaged) to add an out of phase switch to get a position 2 or 4 strat sound.

Thanks m-m-m for that super fast and excellent response!

m-m-m

For starters here's another wiring diagram. As I took a closer look at the one above, it started to seem wrong. This one makes sense to me.

the main difference between the two is the jumper between the two lugs on the push/pull switch (which made me think that the last one I posted could be wrong) but also, the p/p switch is on the vol knob as opposed to the tone (which is more a matter of preference than anything).

To your question … I'm not 100% sure what you mean. I'd assume that you mean you want the midddle position on the toggle to sound stratty (2 and 4 positions - IOW, parallel-out of phase) when the p/p switch is up. Is that correct? Based on my understanding you should be able to attain this by simply swapping the black and green wires for one of the pickups. That way you'll get the north coil from one and the south coil from the other. Keep in mind that you'll have to transpose whatever color codes you're using per the brand of you're pickups.

If you want series/split/parallel wiring for each humbucker individually then you'd need 2 on/on/on mini toggles and we'd have to approach that in a different way from the diagrams above.

DISCLAIMER: I've been trying to attain similar switching on a few of my guitars (having two individual coils from humbuckers wired in parallel out of phase to attain a straty sound) and things haven't been working out quite as I expected. The linkage sounds straty (at least as straty as I'd expect it to), but I still get hum (which I shouldn't to my understanding). I've tried swapping leads and grounds but the hum doesn't seem to go away. This could be the result of unbalanced pickups …. I'm not quite sure. To be honest, it's been one of those things that I've been meaning to ask about here, but it's a complicated subject and I just have been focusing on other things.

Maybe somebody with more experience/knowledge can chime in here and clarify/confirm or otherwise enlighten us.

mxandmyax

the last one worked fantastically. no buzz,
Not at all position 4 strat, but middle position tele spot on

Trending Topics

Top Bottom