Pickup wiring question?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by bullfrogblues, Jul 1, 2004.

1. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

Does the type wire used between pots, etc, matter? Or the guage? I will be wiring my project guitar soon, and the only wire I have on hand is some very thin pickup leads, probably off a 4-wire Seymour. I have some shielded for the jack, but do I need a heavier guage, or will this thin pup wire do? I have plenty braided uninsulated wire for grounding, that's no problem.
    Thanks, Allan.

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It will do fine. Although I tend to prefer something a little heavier, it's probably psychological - looks sturdier, even though it's not under any real stress.

Wiring does affect the tone - but mostly the type of insulation material, rather than the thickness of the conductor IMO. It matters even more with shielded cables, since the cable is effectively a small capacitor, with the insulator as the dielectric.

Length matters too ;) - keep the wires as short and neat as possible, within reason (although not 'tight').

3. bullfrogblues

Thanks, John. I figured it would be ok, but like you, I would prefer a little beefier gauge. Unfortunately hard to come by around here, unless Radio Shat has some.

Allan.

4. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

5. bullfrogblues

Thanks, Jim. I've gotten a few parts for this guitar from them, I just didn't want to have to place another order.

Allan.