Pickups 4 my Ibanez

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Grainslayer, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Hsh Ibanez rg..I'm thinking about swapping out the pickups..Never done it before..I'm going to use it for 70s/80s,rock/metal...ZZ Top to Alice in Chains,Metallica...What would you suggest?

2. cratz2

cratz2 Member

There are nearly infinite choices out there but the Super Distortion and the PAF Pro have been putting their thing down for a long time. I might go for a PAF Joe or a 36th Anniversary in the neck. I have one strat wired with an Air Norton in the bridge and a 36th Anniversary bridge pickup in the neck position and can split both. Lots of decent tones in there.

But like I said... so many options. Do you use pedals for any dirt at all or do you run right into the amp? What amp?

3. Sensates

Sensates Member

Great choice gor the RG. You can also try a Tone Zone in the bridge if you like a fatter tone. Dimarzios fit basswood RGs like a glove.

4. handtrix

handtrix Member

Good recommendations here. You could track down a middle high-output singlecoil pickup that can compliment both would give you all the usable tones possible. Check the ohm's & milivolt output. Good call on the basswood matchup with a TZ, and the 36 is a clean airy neck that you're familiar with, so go with that. Most of all, and while you are at it, get a brass block for that thing ! Night & day.

5. guitarspaz

guitarspaz Member

These above or the FRED. basically a PAF Pro with a little more midrange

6. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Yes,I use pedals for dirt..
    A lot of the time I'm playing with my boss RC-2 looper pedal so I keep the amp clean so it doesn't effect the drum tracks...