Pickups again... sorry

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by not_so_new, Jan 15, 2006.

1. not_so_new

not_so_new Member

Hi all.

Searched around here a bit and I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so........

I am looking for a set of pickups for my '72 Strat. The stock pickups are fine and the guitar is a very special 70's Strat so I will be keeping them (not a big 70's Fender fan but some are very cool and I got VERY lucky when I got this one... ). I will not modify the guitar so I need something to fit the standard Strat cutouts.

Anyway I want to use the guitar for a little heavier stuff so I am not looking for a SRV or Jimi classic Strat sound (I LOVE Stevie and Jimi so don't go there.. LOL). Maybe more like Blackmore'ish I guess, or 80's Beck.

I have been out of the guitar pup game for a while and I am sure choices have advanced since the Semore Duncan days, what's out there that I should look at?

Big thanks in advance.

2. LReese

LReese Member

FWiW -

I wouldn't look at pickups as much as I would processing unless you want to cancel hum or like to plug straight into the amp. I'd add an eq to add mids and boost the signal.

Also wire the tone control to the bridge pickup. I can get some pretty heavy tones with vintage style singles.

I recently bought a set of Antiquity Surfers, which are very nice. The ones I seem to like best are the those in the Cunetto era relics - Probably CS 54's. I also think you wouldn't go wrong with Duncan SSL-1's. Another idea would be to have a tapped pickup in the bridge.

3. not_so_new

not_so_new Member

Thanks man. I don't use anything in front of the preamp for most sessions. Most of the time I want to get my distortion from the preamp power amp tubes. I do agree that a good single bridge pickup can get very heavy tones for sure.

So any links to the stuff you were talking about above? Again I am pretty clueless when it comes to new pickup models and manufactures. What are Antiquity Surfers and Cunetto era relics? Never heard of either.

Thanks again!! Anyone else have any ideas for me?

4. rooster

rooster Member

5. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

For heavier tone:

- Fralin steel pole's
    - Harmonic design Super 90's
    - Kinman SCn, Hx85
    - Dimarzio VV series (the higher output ones)

6. LReese

LReese Member

: So any links to the stuff you were talking about above? Again I am pretty : clueless when it comes to new pickup models and manufactures. What are : Antiquity Surfers and Cunetto era relics? Never heard of either.

Antiquity Surfers: Seymour Duncan http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/antiquitydescr.shtml#surfer

Cunetto era Relics - Stock pickups from the '95 to '98 Fender Relic Strat series. These may be similar to CS 54's.

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Just installed a Fralin Steel Pole 43 to my '57 reissue strats bridge position. I kept the others stock. Sounds absolutely killer. The output of the steel pole is the same of a P90, has a great mid range and really got rid of the ice pick problem I had with the stock pickup. First I was a bit scared that it would be too heavy sounding and I was scared to srew the traditional great strat sound, but it works great, the balance is really nice as the neck and middle sound way cleaner than the bridge but there still isnt an annoying volume change. Even the 4 position sounds quite ok.

I'd recommend maybe the Fralin vintage hots for neck and middle and then the steel pole for the bridge. Really versatile setup with great traditional strat sounds and little extra in the bridge. I've heard really good things about Lollars, Van Zandts and other makers as well..

I had a Duncan SSL3 hot strat pickups in a japanese strat, but I lost that guitar. It sounded great, especially in the bridge postion, for the others the hot pickups were a bit too much..

8. not_so_new

not_so_new Member

Hey guys,big thinks!!!

How about V60-LPs? Any good for a heavier sound?

9. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

The V60LPs are not what you're looking for. Check out the Fralin SP-43s. IMHO, they are about half way between a vintage Strat pickup and a P-90.

10. not_so_new

not_so_new Member

I always say that I don't put a whole lot of weight on opinions on web forums, it is just a great place to start research but I still need to listen with my own ears.

I say that because I am not sure how much to put on this but there seems to be allot of people here that don't like Fralin pups... There are others that seem to really dig them but... well just seems kind of confusing and lots of money to spend on a gamble ($200 or more for 3 pups). I have seen a few people around here say that the 43's are shrill and lacking lows?

11. royd

royd Member

I have the Vintage Vibe SP90's in my partscaster and love them. They too are a P90ish pup for a strat route. They are round, warm, complex, and big. Check them out too.

12. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Conserning the Suhr V60LPs, I dont think they are what you're looking for. If you want more power, you wont find it in vintage style strat pickups, imo.

I think that Fralin might have become "the fulltone of the pickup market". meaning a boutique manufacturer that has become too big and now people are starting to kick them and find even "cooler" alternatives. IMO ofcourse, and this is just an insane theory, but it seems that many times when too many people find a certain "new cool thing" it becomes uncool for others...

As for the SP43 being shrill and lacking in lows I'd say totally the opposite. My strat is pretty bright being ash with a maple neck and the SP43 took care of the bridge positions shrill problem totally, that's what I bought it for. Now the balance is perfect between the pickups, eq wise and gain wise also..