Pickups and placement for tri-cone rez

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by drmcclainphd, Feb 22, 2012.

1. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Member

I was planning to buy the Dean metal Chrome G acoustic electric spider resonator. It has an acoustic pickup and a single coil lipstick mag. Burt I have a spider and would like a tricone. Regal's RC-51 is a tricone but no pickups. For the difference in price I can buy the pickups. But the kinds and placement are an issue. Obviously soundhole mags won't work. Seymour Duncan's SLS-1 lipstick looks like it'd fit just south of the end of the neck. Would that be optimum placement? Any other pickups to recommend? Someone mentioned that brighter pickups accentuate the already bright sound of the rez which can be a problem, but it seems to me that wouldn't apply to mags.

Body contact patch transducers don't seem to be a good choice since the sound on a rez comes out the front much more than an acoustic (resonant cavity, and all that). A bridge pickup would seem to fit the bill, but the bridge structure is different, and under-saddle placement a real problem. Might one be able to mount one against the saddle, where it meets the U-shaped channel of the bridge? Also, I was shown a DTAR Dot Hotspot piezo. Very tiny contact area, very small, and this is such a pretty guitar that I want to minimize messing it up with visible wiring and such. This is small enough it'd fit under the bridge cover. But again, piezos are very bright. Any other suggestions for a acoustic transducing pickup? Or just go with an mini-mike for the acoustic? Another unknown is whether a contact transducer will even work right on metal.

Lastly, is there too much difference in the properties of acoustic and electric pickups to just wire them to the same jack? I don't intend to install any controls on the guitar, doing all that elsewhere. The tech I asked didn't know if it'd be a problem or not, but did suggest dual outputs for individual control. I had an SG Custom stereo with two outputs, so that seems workable, but again, more drilling and holes in this awfully pretty guitar. I usually run my guitars through a multi f/x pedal with stereo output anyway, and so even single outputs take two inputs on my guitar mixer (and there's the dual controls). But if either pickup requires a pre-amp, there's yet more hardware to put on board, or else be stuck with two outputs.

Yes, there are rez-specific pickup systems. I can't see how they can justify the much higher price, particularly since the Dean has fairly common pickup types.

Oh, the S/D and the DTAR together cost $120, and the Regal $100 less than the Dean, so that's close enough. Or is it? Any particular reason for or against either instrument?

2. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

To address your 'which pickup' question I would recommend Lace Alumitones. They're very transparent, most quiet pickup I've used and super light/unobtrusive. Plus (for what it's worth) aesthetically they really fit a reso vibe.

I'm going to show your question to a work partner of mind who builds these and he may address your other questions better. He just finished a project with a strat single coil in the neck and a tunamatic piezo bridge and the thing sounds great.

3. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Member

I greatly appreciate the offer. There are so few still working with rez's that it's hard to find real advice with real experience behind it.

4. Sensible Musician

Sensible Musician Member

Blending: The trick is that a piezo has extremely high output impedance but magnetic pickups are just kinda high (e.g. 6-10k). I would personally make it easy on myself and buffer each pickup individually and blend the low impedance output. The temptation is to try to make the piezo match the magnetic pickup so you can still use traditional passive guitar controls, but that is going to take more real engineering than I personally would be willing to bone up on.

Having said that I do have this bookmarked (no endorsement - never built it): http://www.cafewalter.com/cafewalter/fetpre/pzp1_project.htm