pickups for 339

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by duanesworld, Aug 10, 2008.

1. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

Hi, I just got a 339 and was wondering if anybody has changed pickups and to what. thanks,mike

2. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

3. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

Most Gibson's are really dark on the neck position. I hate that. For that I would put a Seth Lover in the neck at least. For a better balance I would go ahead and change both.

4. Bob V

Bob V Member

Custom Shop Historics have Burstbucker 1 in the neck and Burstbucker 2 in the bridge position, whether it's a reissue Les Paul or a '63 reissue ES-335, and their take on it is that the Burstbuckers are the closest thing to the Holy Grail PAF humbucker tone (this week, anyway, they used to sell the '57 Classics with the same hype, sorry, description). Anyway, I had every intention of putting Burstbucker 1&2's into my ES-339 but I see no reason to do it - the '57's sound great.

What you need to do is decide in what way you want it to sound different - creamier, more bite, hotter? There aren't many 339's out there (production started I believe in September or so of '07) so I'm not sure anybody's tried a pickup swap yet. Much as I love to mod things, all I did is the aluminum stop bar and I'm not sure it made as much of a difference as a pair of 5/16-24 set screws (40 cents) under the tailpiece studs to lock the posts.

5. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Sheptone PAF clones

6. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

Are they suppose to be? Why do't you just switch to the middle position to go brighter?