Pickups for a 1936 Gibson Black Special #4

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Jura, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Jura

Jura Member

Hello everyone.
    I just bought a lovable 1936 Gibson Black Special #4 in an unreal condition.
    I'm looking for a set of magnetic pickups for her. Preferably something sounding similar to Charlie Christian, P90 or the AlNiCo V Staple pickup.
    The problem is that there is only around 6 mm clearance at the neck position.
    I've already sent an email to Pete from Vintage Vibes, but I'm open to suggestions.
    Thanks a lot in advance!
    [​IMG]

2. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Presumably you're thinking pickguard mounted?

Mojo in the UK make a Hershey Bar type pickup that's very thin - can't remember the exact thickness but we installed one as a top mount on a resonator for someone a few years ago. Sounded great from memory.

Some of the small shop pickup winders will work with you if you give them the exact measurements.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The "gold foil" pickups from Harmony are often VERY low profile. One of those "stick mounted" might work, although how the sound would relate to a CC pickup is unknown to me. The structure is obviously completely different (as I recall, an actual CC is pretty clunky overall?)

4. zenitB

zenitB Supporting Member

Some of the DeArmond type "pickup on a stick' are thin as are McCarty pickguards - I think Gibson called them "finger rest pickups"

5. Jura

Jura Member

None of these would actually fit unfortunatelly.
    I wrote to Mojo a few days ago, but haven't heard from him yet.

6. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

He gets incredibly busy - it's a one man operation and he regularly has to turn off the webshop to let him catch up on existing orders. I know someone who knows him so I'll see if I can get the dimensions if it helps.

7. e???

e??? Member

U gotta better pic? I can see the outline of a guitar kinda, and what appears to be a bridge maybe...

8. Jura

Jura Member

Thanks a lot, but please let him work. I'm not really in a hurry. :)

Jayyj likes this.
  9. Jura

Jura Member

OK, but just because it's you. :)
    [​IMG]

Hack Prophet and e??? like this.
  10. e???

e??? Member

The McCarty pickgaurd pickups are great. Kinda p90ish.

11. Jura

Jura Member

Too tall.

12. e???

e??? Member

I know it's blasphemous and I'm supposedly a horrible human being for saying this; but I'd be tempted to route it for a p90 or a staple.

Before I die as a martyr, falling on my sword, for beliefs I was lead into much too young; I'd like to say that no matter how much you deny my blasphemous routing talk:

You Know It Would Sound Awesome.

I'll see you all in hell.

13. Jura

Jura Member

Normally, I would be inclined to do the same, but I just don't have the heart to do it on this one.

14. kimock

kimock Member

I’ve got the low-profile Harmony PU “set-up” for the purpose of situationally amplifying various acoustic’s.
    Surface mount. Double sided tape, Velcro, “putty”, whatever works.

It’s still taller than 6mm, probably closer to 8mm, you still have to attach it to the top with something of non-zero thickness, and you have to nibble away at the cover to get the lead to come out the side of the pickup. Stock wire comes through the bottom.
    It’d be neat if the Harmony fit on that guitar, seems like a good match, but it’s just a little too tall.

15. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

I was looking for something similar a while back, for a project guitar. I wanted the shallowest possible surface-mount pickup I could find. I found nothing shallower than about 7mm. I remember I even called Curtis Novak and asked him. He said that his shallowest is 7mm, and he didn't think anyone made a shallower one, owing to the minimum thickness of the magnet, even a bar-magnet type PU like a gold foil.

16. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Jura: These are ALL good choices.

The OP should settle on one of those. He could use a volume pedal instead of trying to mount a volume knob on the guitar. If he must have two pickups I would advise just getting a different guitar. Something like a Loar. I have played old guitars with a double McCarty pickup set and it was a pain to keep them close to the strings. The other choice might be one of the mini hums that mount on the end of the fingerboard. I have a couple of the old DeArmond monkey-on-a-stick pickups that I use, one at a time, on a 1951 Epi Triumph. They are fantastic sounding but getting expensive now. In truth, it's kind of more trouble than it's worth to use an old acoustic archtop for an electric that you don't want to modify in any way. Sorry to be a party pooper.

17. Jura

Jura Member