pickups for a '72 thinline tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by loveanddag, Jan 12, 2006.

1. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

I love the look of this guitar but it sounds so awful. I basically want it to sound more like a les paul. If i was to get a pearly gates set or the rio grande bbq bucker set, would that do the job? Im looking for a huge classic rock, angus, billy g. type sound. Since its thinline, my thinking is that if i get some pickups that are pretty meaty and bright, the body will mellow them up a little as i do wanna play a tiny bit of jazz here and there on it. Any recommendations?

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I have always felt that Duncan Antiquities have always sounded awesome with a semi-hollow guitar. I had a Gibson 336 with them in it and it sounded amazing!

3. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

If you can find a set of the original HB's for that, you might change your mind about 'em. They are slightly larger than regular HB's too, so you might have a bit of a gap around any replacements.

4. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

yeah, im gonna order a replacement pickguard from warmoth thats cut to fit regular HB's. Ill have to look for some original pickups for it tho. Will that make it sound closer to a LP? I got this guitar a long time ago when i was still wanting guitars based on looks, not on how they sound. I still like the looks of it but i just cant find the sound of it useful for anything.

5. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Well, first you have to realize it's probably never going to sound like a Les Paul. Two different animals. I've had two original 72's over the years and on one, had Warmoth cut me a p/g for regular sized buckers.

Calloways Antiquity suggestion is a good one. I'd opt for a more vintage wind, PAF style bucker instead of a hotter wind for the tones you're after.

Other pups to consider would be Seths, Manlius Landmarks, Lollar Imperials, Wolfe, Dave Stephens Silver, High Order, Dimarzio Classic PAF's or VV PAFs. Lots of others out there that will get you close also. Good luck and have fun!

6. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

I think fralin makes a good set of buckers specifically for that guitar but I may be wrong. check out lindy's website

7. Kooper

Kooper Guest

I use a Seth lover neck and a Duncun Custom Custom bridge in my Thinline clone they sound great in that guitar.Not like a Paul,the construction is just too different for it to be LesPaul like?But hey,what do I know I like the sound of those vintage Fenbuckers.

8. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

9. Yeah my first thought was that the problem was the desire, not the guitar or pickups... Tele does not equal Les Paul. no matter the pickups!

10. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I've got the same guitar (japanese) and I too don't care for the stock pickups. I happen to have a set of SD Seth Lovers available so I think I'm going to get a custom pickguard and try them out. I think these pickups will work nicely in a semi-hollow ash environment. I know G&L uses the Seth Lover neck on it's Bluesboy Semi-hollow Asat, anyway.

taco