pickups for ES-335 type...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fin, Aug 28, 2005.

1. fin

fin Guest

Hiya fellas-

I've been lurking for a little while here so i thought it might be time to jump in- this is a great group, i've already learned alot-

question- just picked up a nice '79 Ibanez AS100 (GREAT GUITARS- this replaces one that I had stolen in '92 that I've been missing ever since) which is a 335 style hollowbody ....she's a sweet player, definately going to be my #1 (or one of my #1's :confused: :D) ...can feel that already-
    but...
    I'm not that happy with the pickups, I think they could be improved...

recommendations for a 335-type guitar?

I have noticed that sometimes folks ask for advice, and it gets pointed out that they have not detailed thier needs- so I will try to do that...

I really need what I think of as tonal "complexity" which to me is sort of the opposite of compression if that makes sense...

in a two-piece band, the guitar chords and even single notes have to really have alot of overtones and be "thick"-

and obviously I need the bass, but I am also looking for a good "CHIME" sound on a ringing open high E string for example i mean like a fricking BELL man so that's why I want to get the most MUSICAL pickups I can find...good dynamic touch-sensitive humbuckers or maybe at east one P-90? or maybe a coil-split scheme- I suspect that most of the good humbuckers are not really designed to sound their best when split I dunno...

Pickup recommendations for this guitar? And buy the way- this is a GREAT forumI'm glad I finally joined!!!:dude

2. xroads

xroads Member

Welocome to the forum!

I would recommend to search for threads on WCR pickups. IMHO,
    these HBs sound excellent for what you want.

Xroads

3. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

+1 on the WCRS (Wagners). Spend the dough once, never look back. Most detailed, complex pickups I've ever heard. Most of the next ten replies will probably say the same thing, for the same reason. -Eric

4. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

1st choice: WCR Crossroads.

2nd choice: Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers.

5. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

6. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

there are a couple of Rolph's for sale in the Emporium. They are very good.

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

I use Harmonic Design Vintage Classic Plus Humbuckers in my ES-347TD. They cost me $140 each (direct from harmonicdesign.net) with gold covers.

These pickups sound great if you like vintage tone. Clean or overdrive, I like them. They are a very fat sounding HB. The ES-347 has a coil tap switch, which the original pickups ("Gibson Original Humbuckers") sounded horrible with. The HDs sound great in coil tap mode. Very versatile pickups.

I haven't tried WCR Crossroads, but I'd probably like them, too, from what I've read. They sound like a very similarly designed pickup.

8. alderbody

alderbody Member

9. tommyg

tommyg Member

+1 Seth Lovers. I think they're awesome for 335-type guitars.

10. Blueser

Blueser Member

+1 on the Seth Lovers.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

12. tone4days

tone4days Member

a set of seymour duncan seth lovers was my first thought .. but a set of seymour duncan phat cats might get you to the P-90-ish vibe you mentioned ... worth a try, and with the 21 day 'no sucky tone' guarantee, you can try em and send em back if they don't scratch your itch

cheers
    t4d

13. Rama

Rama Member

From what you describe I second the Phat Cat recommendation.

14. tybone

tybone Member

I had 57 Classics in my 335. They were very smooth and warm. This was great for clean jazzy or slightly overdriven blues tones.

I then put a pair of WCR Crossroads in the guitar. Slightly lower gain and a fair bit brighter than the Gibson pickups. Then neck pickup is to die for clean or dirty.

I often thing that Darkburst or maybe WCR Fillmore bridge and Crossroads neck might cover all the bases.

You should read the other threads on the WCR pickups.

15. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

I had an AS-120 I loved, but the neck was not big enough for me. The Super 58s I thought were great pickups. That said, I got a Heritage 535 and snatched the Schallers out and put in WCR Crossroads. The guitar is so sweet now I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Ned