Pickups for ES-335?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dote, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Dote

Dote Member

Hi there,

my never ending GAS took the better of me and I bought a very nice Tokai ES-335 NT clone (the cheaper variant from Korea).

I have had only the best experiences with Tokai guitars in the past and currently own two Love Rocks (MiJ) (LS-85F, LS75Q).

For these two guitars I ordered a set of Crossroads each from Jim Wagner. These PUs rock in these guitars and after changing the Vol pots to lin I am in Lester heaven.

My new Es-335 will definitely need a set of new PUs, since the factory ones are not at all my cup of tea!

I really would want to try something different this time and wondered what PUs are recommended.

Gil, if you are reading this, what combination do you have?

I am looking for a nice fat, but not muddy Neck Pickup and a mean and even fatter Bridge PU.

Any suggestions?

I plan on having the nut replaced as well. I had the Munich Repair Shop do this with my two Love Rocks and it not only helps playability (which is already great on my two Lesters), but the sound as well.

Thanks for any ideas!

Cheers,

Dominik:D

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

I'm sure there are numerous great choices here.

I used Harmonic Design Classic HBs in my ES-347 (similar to an ES-335). Very full, yet not muddy. Classic PAF sound.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'm extremely happy with the 57 Classics in my Gibson.

Duncan 59 and Custom-5 (SH-14) is a nice combination too.

4. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

Duncan Seth Lovers. Great match for a 335 style guitar.

5. alderbody

alderbody Member

I have a set of Crossroads in my Epi Dot which are, as we all know, magic...

Why don't you contact Jim and tell him what you want?...

6. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Contact Jon Moore at rhonjon@sympatico.com

For less than the price of one pickup, you can have Jon custom wind a set to your specs.

I recently posted on a vintage type wind I had him do for me in a new semi hollow. Both unpotted, unbalanced coils, A-3 mags. 7.75 neck and 8.3 bridge. These things are incredibly sweet and articulate. The clarity is outstanding.

These work for me, but you may need something difrferent. Give him a shout and see what happens.

On to others...I agree about the Seths. Great pups for semi hollow. Lollar Imperials are supurb.

For super cheap pickups, check out the 12 polepiece Filtertron copies by Kent Armstrong. Very "Sethish" at a fraction of the cost.

7. JUS1BEER

JUS1BEER Member

I would try Harmonic designs humbuckers, I just replaced these that I had in a PRS cu24 with WGR Goodwoods and the difference was subtle, not better, different. the HD's I think would sound good in a hollow body. They change a lot, as do the Goodwoods with minor adjustments so you should be able to dial in your sound with just a bit of tweaking. Ther are also a lot of testimonies on the Harmonic Designs site of people using his himbuckers in 335s. Good Luck
    PS. I would sell you mine but I am going to install them in a Mexican tele I have ,and go to slide heaven, I think :D

8. sws1

sws1 Member

Duncan Antiquities. Beautiful!!!

9. kwaves99

kwaves99 Member

For something a little different you might want to try Harmonic design Z-90's. I put them in my Ibanez Artcore AS73, (an es-335 copy) and put a bone nut in, changed the jack and upgraded the pots and now the Ibanez is a killer guitar! (Actually, Rob Distefano did it lol! www. frettech.com)

you get a wide range of tones from the Z-90's, from jazzy to full out screaming rock!

Jeff

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Duncan Seth Lovers
    Gibson '57 Classics

-both work for me...
    S.
    j

11. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

dude, you already drank the jim jones... err, wagner kool-aid so there's no going back. in other words, you've already had the best, so there's no going back. :D

the crossroads set is like it was MADE for a 335 in that they are low output, articulate, balanced, and clean up well which lets the 335 breathe just the way it should. i've got them in my cheap turser 335 and it sounds as good or better than any gibby i've played (blasphemy to some). granted it's no vintage 335, and the pickups cost more than the axe (thank you eBay), but I didn't drop several thou$and on it either and those pickups made this cheap 335 sound better than it EVER should have!

my suggestion would be to transplant the xroads from one of your love rocks into the 335, and then get another set of WCR's in a different flavor for that love rock (goodwoods are great in a solid body... everyone raves about darkbursts. fillmores are the ticket for that hot 70's rock tone. or maybe a combination of neck/bridge 'buckers from any of those to create a really versatile set of pickups).

by the way, how is that tokai 335? any pics? how much was it and where'd you get it? I'd love to get another cheap 335 -- i need another axe to put more WCR's in!

12. Dote

Dote Member

Heya!

Indeed I was bit by the WCR bug. The second Love Rock was bought, since I wanted to check out the Crossroads.

Before that I had a set of Fillmores (not my cup of tea) and sold them to get another set of Crossroads.

Your suggestion is quite interesting, I might just buy a set of "hotter" Crossroads (Darbursts?).

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7337505063

Here is the auction of the Tokai ES-335. I hope it hits my door by tomorrow. I will post my findings!

Thanks again for all the input!

Cheers,

Dominik

13. tommyg

tommyg Member

+1 on the Seth Lovers! I have them in my Heritage 535. AWESOME pickups; tone to the bone! :D

14. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

+ 1 on the Antiquities.

15. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

Hi,

I am partial to the '57 Classics that came stock in my '03 ES-335. I think that the offer that "nice fat, not muddy" thing that you are looking for.

Scott

16. xroads

xroads Member

I saw this auction as well, and almost placed a bid. Please post a report on how this thing plays!
    Does it have a one piece neck?

I have a Korean Hamer Echotone which is pretty good as living room/outdoor gig guitar (bought it for 300 bucks on ebay).