Pickups for Hamer Special FM

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jspax7, Mar 7, 2006.

1. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I just picked up a Hamer Special FM. Pickups are Rio Grande Texas/BBQ. I prefer the Duncan 59's in my Bluesbird for LC tones with my Fuchs ODS 30. Any other suggestions for this guitar?

The Bluesbird is chambered, the Hamer is solid, Mahogany/Maple. I'm looking for great cleans, smooth OD, (both pickups) but not too much top end on the bridge pickup. I'm not a fan of the stock JB's because of the highs, but I'm a big fan of Robben Ford too.

2. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Bump.

Anyone out there?

3. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

I'd recommend asking the same question on the Hamer Fan Club message board: http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/. FWIW, my bandmate just acquired a Special FM and he's thinking about dropping a set of Phat Cats in it when it arrives.

4. jordanL

jordanL Member

I put a set of WCR Goodwoods in mine, but It sounds like you want something a bit milder.

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Put the stock/original pickups back in - Seymour Duncan '59 in neck, JB in bridge. Sounds great as it was designed.

6. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Thanks. I've been thinking about the same thing. I'm sure there's a reason why Hamer did this in the first place.

Besides, the Duncan's are affordable, and easy to sell if not satisfied. The JB's tend to be a little bright for me. I don't mind something a bit hotter in the bridge though.

Did you keep the stock wiring?

7. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Thanks! I emailed Jim last night. He responded at 10:45 PM!

At the risk of turning this into another WCR thread, (I think I just did!) He suggested a Crossroads set, or a Crossroads neck, and a Darkburst bridge.

Can you compare the Goodwoods/CR/DB with the Duncan 59/JB? (The stock set) Sounds like the CR/DB set may be closest.

I have a Bluesbird with Duncan 59's. I really like that set in that guitar.

One other concern; If I get the WCR's, and like them more than the 59's,... You see where I'm going with this.

Let's see,... GP forumite since Dec. '05,... Fuchs ODS, new speaker, Power Factor, Voltage regulator, NOS tubes, Hamer Special FM,.... excuse me, but I'm feeling a little GAS coming on.:jo

8. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

The Rios never floated my boat, too muffled sounding. I think the 59s are a decent choice for that guitar. If you like those already... The antiquities pickups are on a par with any boutique pickup I've tried. I heard from my dealer that Lyle Workman returned his WCR pickups and put in Seth Lovers in his custom Hamers.

9. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Had a '93 Special FM and slapped a Seth Lover in it. I loved the sound when it was in my studio artist semi hollow so I did the switch. I agree that the JB/'59 combination that comes stock is a killer setup as well.

10. jordanL

jordanL Member

I have the goodwood set. They're bluesy and a bit hotter than the standard set(they remind me of SD Pearly Gates-another good PAF+ type). IMHO they have better note definition, and sizzle. Clean up very nicely when I turn down. I also add that While I don't think the Duncan '59 is a great pickup, it is a very good one. I don't care for the JB as much. And it still matters what guitar you have them.