Pickups for Les Paul...Timbuckers or......?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JDW3, Oct 17, 2005.

1. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Quite a number of pickuops have been available in the last few years to satisfy just about every taste. I am looking for the basic, Gibbons/Duane/Clapton style Lp tone.

I am sure a number of you have experimented with many different manufacturers. I've heard of Lollar, WCR (?) and Timbuckers, as being very popular.

Who are the top 3 all around best pickups out for these tones?

2. doc

doc Member

Those are all great pickups of that type. Others with a great reputation include Rolphs, Fralins, and a few of Seymour Duncan's pickups (Antiquities and Custom EVH). I have some WCR Fillmores and some Timbuckers; they're both amazing sounding. The WCRs are much more easily available - prepare to be on Tim's waiting list for at least a year; he does it more as a hobby, whereas the WCRs are cranked out significantly faster. I wouldn't say Tims are necessarily better: each set is great. If you want a slightly thicker, darker sound go for some Fillmores or Darkbursts, if you want something close to a real PAF try the Tims, Crossroads or Goodwoods. I've never cranked up any real PAFs so I can't comment on how close any of these are, but some of the cork-sniffers out there say the real PAFs are still more complex in tone - I suspect there is probably more difference between two different PAFs than between a PAF and some of these pickups; and these'll be much cheaper and less likely to fail. If you want something inexpensive but close, try the Duncan Custom Custom.

3. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I know I could've done a search on this, but I really wanted some fresh ideas; after the "honeymooning" period is over. All the popular pickups have now been out for a couple years and I was hoping for the bare bones consensus on their tones, etc...

I'll never have real PAFs unless it's by accident, so hopefully I'll find the next best thing.

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

You can't go wrong with WCR's, they are superb and Jim is one hell of a nice guy. Just don't tell him I said that, in fact you would be better off not mentioning my endorsement entirely cause he may charge you double. ;)

5. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

What's your budget, JDW3?

The Wagners are great pickups, but rather expensive. Same with the Lollars and the Timbuckers.

As an alternative, check out Highorder pickups. Ridiculously inexpensive for the incredible tone they deliver. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the Wagners, Lollars, Timbuckers, etc. are great pickups, because they truly are...but you can get fantastic tone for less $$ with the Highorders, if that's a consideration.

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

All good pickups mentioned so far, but nobody has mentioned Holmes yet. I've used the WCR Fillmores and Goodwoods but prefer Holmes. Duncan Antiquities are also very good. I have a set of Timbuckers ready to try, but haven't been motivated to take out the Holmes.;)

7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Another thumbs up for the Darkbursts and the Goodwoods. I have some of each, and they kick serious booty. And I have PAF's, too. ;)

8. Mr.Hanky

I have Holmes in my 82, they are priced in the stratosphere now though.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I like the Burstbucker 1 and 2 on my R7. It sounds just the way a classic LP should IMHO.

10. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

I've had quite a few of these...Timbuckers included. A friend of mine recently got a Crossroads neck and Darkburst bridge from Jim Wagner and I like them considerably more than the Timbuckers I had in my '58 Reissue. That's just my own take, different guitars not withstanding. I have a set of Pearly Gates in the guitar now that I'm pretty happy with, but I think you could do well with Antiquities, WCR's, Lollars, Holmes, Timbuckers, Voodoo, etc...hard to make a bad choice in the PAF arena these days.

11. Mr.Hanky

All of these are good pups, just depends on what you like.

The RS kit should be first, that is the LP enema. From there you can decide what you do not like about the guitar and act accordingly.

12. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I have Wolfetone and WCR pickups. Both great in their own right. The good thing about pickups is that they are not permanent. Can always trial and error them. :)

13. Erik

Erik Member

My first thought would be the WCR...maybe do a Darkburst or Crossroad neck combined with a Fillmore bridge. One thing worth mentioning about WCR pickups, they are far more versatile than one would think.

14. Mr.Hanky

FWIW I wound up with a DB in the neck and goodwood in the bridge of my R7. That neck pup is THE BEST neck tone I have ever had out of any guitar I have owned.

15. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I was considering about $150 per pickup would be my limit. I guess it is down to taste and taste is still all over the map.:)