pickups for my epi les paul.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Guitarplayerdan, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

I have a Limited Edition "MUSIC RISING" les paul epiphone autographed by Bono (not the edge yet), that i will never part with.

I Think it sounds supper muddy. I have been a Fender/strat man for 14 years. So what pickups would you recomend. I been looking at burstbuckers and seth lovers. Its not any pedals or amp problems. I run high end pedals and Top hat amps. I played my friends Gibson goldtop with burstbuckers it sounded redickulous.

Any recomendations. And other things to make my epiphone sound better. Like i said Its not going anywhere so I all i want is upgrade recomendations.

2. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

Before trying to judge pickups, I'd start with pots and caps. An RS kit would be a nice touch.

3. 5er Driver

5er Driver Member

+1 for RS.

4. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

so a pot/switch upgrade (such as the rs kit) will be a better upgrade than doing the pickups. Im sure if i did both the pickups and pots it would be best but if you had to pick one of the two from a stock epiphone les paul what would it be. And what should i expect from an pot/switch kit upgrade tone wise?

5. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

Not the best in the sense of the "biggest change", but in the sense of it will then let you hear the pickups as they should be heard. Likely, you'll gain some treble, clarity, and better control. You might even like the Epi pickups.

Otherwise, you might go through several $100 pickups trying to compensate for a $10 pot. ;)

(BTW, one of the best "bang for the buck" pickups is an over-the-counter Duncan Antiquity. For about $120 you get a hand-wound Seth Lover.)

6. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

which rs kit specificlly should i get. Price isnt an issue. might even get a new kit for my strat.

7. rooster

rooster Member

Good advice. Even though I am a Bill Lawrence guy (the real BL, not BL USA), I think the Seth Lovers were amazing pickups. They are great G___ style pickups.

rooster.

8. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

You'll get the best advice by calling them and telling them what you've got, and what you want. They know their stuff.

9. bettset

bettset Member

10. NoahL

NoahL Member

i have a '90s korean hamer. maybe comparable to your epi for wood quality and workmanship. i bought two used duncans ('59/JB) and an RS kit. $160 in all (i did the work myself). it sounds like a real guitar, and since i did the RS kit after the pickups, i can vouch for the improvement over the stock electronics.

11. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

Got some Marshallheads in mine, with an RS kit. awesome. Love the tone.

12. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

I installed WCR pickups In My Epi. They sell a verity of pickups mostly vintage Allman Brothers and Clapton stuff. I bought replicas of Dickie Betts Fillmore Guitar pickups. I also bought new pots. Great sound bits on website, check it out! www.wcrguitar.com