Pickups for Peavey Wolfgang

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 5881, Jan 19, 2015.

1. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

Thinking about replacing the PU's in my Wolfgang. Love the guitar but the PU's are too dirty for what I'm doing now. As I recall they are mounted directly to the body, no springs or adjustments. Not sure what will fit and if a "standard" humbucker can be mounted in that fashion.
    Thanks

2. rjohns1

rjohns1 Member

Dimarzio pickups will drop right in. Duncan will need the ears cut to fit. If you want the same vibe, but less gain, try the AT-1 from Dimarzio.

3. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

We need more info here and activity here.

4. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

I agree; kind of thought I'd get a little more info. I know the Wolfgangs don't get much love here but figured I can't be the first who wants to clean it up a bit.

5. rjohns1

rjohns1 Member

I've owned several Peavey Wolfgangs and currently own two EBMM Axis guitars. Love them. Out of all the pickups I've tried, the AT-1 is killer. Similar tone, but less output. The problem with a lot of pickups out there, is that they are way too bright in this guitar, as the basswood, maple neck, and double locking bridge is overly bright to begin with. Good luck in your search, and yes I agree, we need more people chiming in here.

6. tildeslash

Since the guitar is pretty much like an Musicman Axis - why not the pickups used in the Axis?

7. rjohns1

rjohns1 Member

Good luck finding them. They are OEM only. The AT-1 is very close, but less gain than the EBMM Axis pickup. The Tonezone is close also, but more gain and bottom end.

8. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

Is the AT-1 bridge only? F spacing or regular spacing; whatever that means?

9. haymez

haymez Member

F-Spaced (53mm) is the one that is designed to work with Fender (and Floyd) bridge spacing - pretty sure that is what you are going to want with the Peavey Wolfgang. And the AT-1 is a great pickup.

10. tildeslash

Anything else to say?

11. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I put a Dimarzio Fred in the bridge, and a PAF Pro in the neck. I also added a single coil in the middle, moved the switch and made it a 5 way, and I do basic super Strat style switching. That was my workhorse for many years, and I could cover just about everything.

The Fred isn't for everyone, but I really liked it, and it pairs up perfectly with the PAF Pro, IMHO.

12. tildeslash

And this was in a Peavey Wolfgang?

13. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Hard to believe, isn't it? :D

[​IMG]

I loved the guitar, but HATED the stock pickups. I figured, if I'm going to customize it, I may as well just go all out.

Incidentally, I still have the stock pickups if anyone is really interested, but I don't think they sound that good, so no backsies.