pickups from les paul, what can substitute for a strat??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gishlullmoon, Feb 25, 2012.

1. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

490R and 498T are the pickups in a les paul i want to have someday, but instead i think i want to buy a cheap strat and thorw pickups that sound like humbuckers in it......... are there any recomendations or anything that sound like or exactly like the 490R and 498T from that les paul?

i dont know much about pickups, there seems to be a lot of variations i get kind of confused as to what sounds like what.....the les paul i want to sound like is a 1984 lp custom

it would be neat to get those humbuckers in a cool looking cheap strat

2. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

3. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

nevermind ill just buy those pickups and put em in my cheap epiphone.......

4. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Just keep in mind that a Les Paul doesn't get its sound from the pickups alone. Almost everything about a Strat is different than a Les Paul, and it all contributes to their individual sounds. Of course, you can beef up a Strat with humbuckers to get a bigger sound. You can even get stacked humbuckers that are the same size as single coils, if you don't want to replace your pick guard.

However, that link you put up shows P90's. I love P90's personally, but they have their own unique sound too. They're a little fatter than regular single coils, but they still can be plenty bright and twangy, so they don't sound like humbuckers either. I hope this is helpful.

5. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

you can't make an apple taste like an orange, and Strats and Les Pauls are apples and oranges.
    This doen't mean you can't get great sounds out of both using various wiring and pickup options, just don't think you're gonna make that Affinity Strat sound like an 84 Les Paul Custom by dropping some pickups in it.

Save up and get the real thing instead of chasing the dragon with pickups and parts, you'll be so happy you did. I know I was.

6. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

thanks guys for the info! i think im just gonna jam my epiphone and get the real thing on day..... les paul is just so much beef like you say, its hard to keep listening to it and staring at it........ im a strat guy but those lps are very tempting:D

7. drolling

drolling Member

You done the right thing, gish. I still remember way back in 1972, my bass player's GF got a Jazz bass pickup in Boston or NYC so we'd be able to get a 'Fender' sound from his Gibson cherry red EB-3 bass (Cream, and Jack Bruce in particular, was still a big influence on us at the time)

Took it to two different luthiers, the second of whom refered us to a furniture builder/radio-repair guy, whose combined routing/wiring skills finally got the job done

What a HUGE dissapointment! Sounded nothing, NOTHING like a Jazz (or Precision) bass at all!

Looking back, it all seems painfully obvious now, given the different scale lengths, woods used & construction techniques - Not to mention the fact that we'd placed the pickup too close to the neck (short-scale.. wouldn't fit anywhere else!). How could it have possibly sounded right??

Unfortunately, not only did it sound different, it was a *bad* sounding different. I don't think he ever even turned that pickup on once after installation, setup & a bit of noodling around