Pickups....oh boy

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by theredhandedc33, Feb 24, 2012.

1. theredhandedc33

theredhandedc33 Member

So, I recently bought a Fender '72 Telecaster Custom (the reissue), and I'm looking to replace the neck humbucker. I've heard good things about Duncan P-rails, and I like to have as much versatility as I can. Any suggestions? Should I also look into replacing the bridge pickup? Thanks!

2. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

Didn't Seth design the original humbucker for the 72 custom?

3. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Yes, he designed the originals which are fantastic pickups. The new ones differ in many ways.

4. scorched

scorched Member

I just did what your thinking of doing and it didn't work for me. I have a Jerry Donahue tele bridge PU and dropped a P-rails in it. They didn't get along at all. The P-rail overwhelmed the bridge pu. Also, I didn't really like the sound of it.

I put a Dimarzio Humbucker-from-Hell in it that I had in a box of pu's I have and it was perfect. Its one one the lowest output humbuckers available and it blends very well the a tele bridge. Unfortunate and misleading name, though.

I'm thinking I need a little hotter pu in the bridge. May go with a Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan.

5. theredhandedc33

theredhandedc33 Member

Interesting, I will look into that Dimarzio for sure. I know the levels will be somewhat different no matter what unless I also replace the bridge pu.

6. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

just buy a set of originals from the 70's, but is that worth it?...i would just sell that guitar and buy a real vintage telecaster deluxe, tele custom, or thinline theyre not that expensive and are pretty darn nice guitars.

7. Miles

Miles Member

P-Rails are beefy! They sound great, but will require some decent degree of mod (if you're comfortable with it) due to extra switching that will be required to swap/combine the Humbucker and P-90.

You'll have one hell of a versatile neck tone though - I'd say go for it!

8. FLStratcat

FLStratcat Member

If you're going for something in the Wide-Range vein, check out Jaime @ The Creamery. His wide-range repros (while not 100% vintage blah blah) sound phenomenal.

9. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Try adjusting the pickup heights before you decide they are bad sounding.

10. theredhandedc33

theredhandedc33 Member

All good info to have, thanks everyone!!

11. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

There's a guy on TDPRI who rewinds and re-works RI wide-range humbuckers to the original spec. He goes by Telenator on the TDP. He does great work. Tell him Pete sent you. He'll **** his pants.

12. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

Curtis Novak can rework this pickups to original construction. here is a link with pictures comparing the original to the current pickups.

I have a 80's MIJ tele custom and i ended up just buying an original 'Wide Range' pickup on ebay (which sounds fantastic when paired with 1Meg pots - and a Lindy Fralin Blues special in the bridge) - they go for around the $350-$400 mark.

Lollar makes a version of the original pickup - also worth checking out

13. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

14. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

The P-rails really sound killer. It's a unique humbucker sound that works very well in the neck position. If you want a repro WRHB that is as close to the original as you'll ever find, www.telenator.com

15. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

Slider's Pickups. Tell Rod I sent you. His Fat Tele set is absolutely amazing!!! He'll also wind individual pickups or complete sets to your needs. He's a really great dude to work with and is extremely knowledgeable, detail oriented. If you've seen his ebay auctions you'll know what I mean.

sliderspickups at bigpond dot com