• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Pickups out of phase on 2015 Les Paul...

Guitarjon

Hey everyone,

Got a 2015 Les Paul classic (with some mods mind you) and it's a great guitar! It has one little issue though, the pickups appear to be out of phase when the selector switch is in the middle position. I thought I'd just flip one of the magnets but unfortunately I couldn't easily get to the magnet so it will have to be fixed in the wiring... Now, I can't solder... I know, I know haha!

A friend of mine can solder well but he doesn't know anything about guitars, so I'm now trying to figure out which wires should be turned around/exchanged... I like how the guitar sounds and I enjoy the coil splits and boost so I don't have any need to 'yank it all out and do it 50s style' as some people on FB have told me. I would prefer a fix that is as easy and quick as possible tbh.

Here are some pics of the inside of the control cavities:

Guppie

What are the mods?
If you want to reverse the polarity of one pickup you should do it where it connects to the circuit board. It's not clear on your pictures but it looks like the stock connector are still there. The connectors are really small and the average Joe won't be able to switch the output wires.
I find it a bit weird that they are out of phase.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Looks like somebody may have modified some wiring and taped it up with elecrical tape (on the right side). Looks like its the wiring for the three way toggle. Maybe someone modiied something there but I don't see how that would affect an out of phase setting.

Guitarjon

Thanks for your comments guys! I just took it to a store and the tech noticed those red pieces of tape on the left side, where the wires go to the pickups. He says someone probably swapped them out to get that Peter Green sound. So he's going to call Gibson to see what the proper configuration is of the wires. Shouldn't be too big of a deal... I hope :) Otherwise it's an amazing guitar!

Guitarjon

What are the mods?
If you want to reverse the polarity of one pickup you should do it where it connects to the circuit board. It's not clear on your pictures but it looks like the stock connector are still there. The connectors are really small and the average Joe won't be able to switch the output wires.
I find it a bit weird that they are out of phase.
It has a new nut, at least the top part. I like it a lot. It's a white graphtech nut that pops into the bottom part of the original. I like how the slots are nicely angled to avoid tuning issues. The g-force tuning system has been removed and replaced with grovers. That's about it. I'm going to put some pickup covers on there because I prefer the look :)

Trending Topics