Pickups out of phase?

Geosh

Installed a new neck pickup last night and in the bridge or neck only switch position things are great. In the middle position, the volume drops significantly and bass all but disappears. Am I correct in assuming I wired it out of phase?

I have a black wire, white wire, and a ground (bare) wire. It is as easy as switching the black and white wires, right? Looking for a sanity check. It has been a long day.

Thanks!

mcdes

Member of no importance
Sounds like it. You have either wired one of them backwards, or need to turn one of the pickups around 180degrees.

But I'm no expert.

Tweedman

Sounds like it. You have either wired one of them backwards, or need to turn one of the pickups around 180degrees.

But I'm no expert.
This will do nothing. As long as a pickup is wired correctly it doesn't matter if it's facing east or west.

Taller

This will do nothing. As long as a pickup is wired correctly it doesn't matter if it's facing east or west.
True. I'm sure the poster was thinking of Peter Green's Les Paul with the backwards facing pickup. That pickup has its magnet flipped, so it is magnetically out of phase with the bridge pickup.
The OP surely has a wiring issue causing the out-of-phase condition.

Geosh

What pickups in what guitar? Pictures? Sounds like a phasing issue.

It is a Gretsch Black Falcon. I swapped in a TV Jones T-90 in the neck position. The black and white wires just must be backwards.

Update: swapped the wires and it is working fantastically!! Thanks guys!

Last edited: