Pickups/Pedals/Amp Recommendations on a budget!

Starquasi

I did a search and there is a ton of information, but I wanted to see if anyone has any insight into my situation specifically.

I'm a guitar player that is playing bass in a newly formed trio. We're covering 90's alternative and the band is purely for fun gigs when our regular bands aren't working. I'm not looking for high end recommendations. Just simple, cost effective solutions that will get the job done at the local pub type gig.

1. I have a Squier P-Bass that needs a better pickup. The factory one is farty/woofy no matter what amp I've used. (>$150)

2. Pedals: Tuner I have. Drive/Octave/Delay (or other suggestions) and preamp/di? (>$500 total if possible)

3. Amp: I really have no idea. I've used a Mark Bass Combo, Ampeg SVT mini amp, and a few budget combos. Need something that can hang with a drummer, that is tough and light if possible ($500 - $700)

Thanks for any suggestions. I appreciate your knowledge.

rummy

Silver Supporting Member
Seymour Duncan SPB-1
Pedals are up to you, but I’ll just say that most amps these days have a useable DI built in.
If you want to keep up with a drummer, you need more speakers. Even Little Mark can keep up with a loud drummer if you have enough speakers like a 4x10 or even 2x12.

narwhale

1) I really like the Fender 62 in my AVRI '62. I've also heard plenty of good things about Duncans and Lollars. All of these are well under $150.
2) VT Bass would be my choice for preamp. A lot of people use it as an overdrive, though if you want to do that you'll probably want the Deluxe so you have dial in 2 different sounds.
3) In your price range, I use a GK MB210. I've never had an issue keeping up with my drummer at practice or small venues (bigger ones I end up going through the PA as well), but you can always add another 2x10 cabinet if you feel the need or bump up to the 212.

JohnSS

I would check out DiMarzio replacement P-bass pickups - they can grind but are also very clean if you need them to be.

2) Best preamp-D.I. for bass in my experience is the Aguilar Tone Hammer. Very versatile EQ and super quiet.

3) For your price range, get a Peavey TNT combo - plenty of power to hang with a drummer and as reliable as you get for the budget.

Starquasi

Thanks for the suggestions. My buddy is a Duncan dealer and can get me pickups for cost, but I'll still be checking out the DiMarzios (I have all dimarzios in my tele's...love them).

I think I'll check out my buddy's Tech 21 VT Deluxe.

One last question. Delay and sub octave pedals. Yay or nay?

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
Don't overthink effects. 90% of the bass lines you know and love are nothing more than the sound of the bass, the amp, and the player. If there's a certain song that has a signature bass sound, buy a pedal to cop that sound. For '90's alternative I bet you rarely need more than fuzz and overdrive.

rummy

Silver Supporting Member
Don't overthink effects. 90% of the bass lines you know and love are nothing more than the sound of the bass, the amp, and the player. If there's a certain song that has a signature bass sound, buy a pedal to cop that sound. For '90's alternative I bet you rarely need more than fuzz and overdrive.
What he said.

harpinon

For amps, look for a Yorkville 200xb. Made in your own back yard. I LOVE the sound of them. Great tone and loud enough for you.
For decent really cheep amps, consider older Peaveys. The TNT is a good one. It sounds better than the Acoustic 100 watt practice amp I use.

As far as pups, I can tell you that I have upgraded a Squier fretless bass and found that spending a bunch on pickups only yields marginal improvements.
There WAY more to good tone than the pups.
Look hard for an old beat up MIM Fender. You'll be much happier in the end.

Analog Kid

Gold Supporting Member
For pickups, I love the Fender "Original Vintage" P-bass pickup and have one in a MIM P-bass that sounds great. Can't be beat for the price.

For effects, you don't need much but it depends on what you are trying to do. If you're just running bass lines, you don't really need anything. I like to run a Boss OC2 sometimes when I want a thicker sound.

Preamp/DI, why do need this? Most amps have excellent DIs built into them, however I don't like the DI on the Markbass stuff I've used. So, if you get a Markbass, you might want a decent DI, but otherwise you should be fine.

Amp...Most amps these days are of good quality, so recommending an amp is just about the tone you like and your budget. If you like GK tone, you won't be happy with an Ampeg and vice versa. Only you can decide what tone will make you happiest, but my recommendation is get what you like the first time, even if it takes a little longer to save for it. It will be more rewarding than trying to get tones from an amp that just aren't in it. I use an SVT7-Pro with a couple 1x12 cabs and it sounds great and gets plenty loud.

Trending Topics