Pickups Pickups Pickups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kyle BD, May 16, 2011.

1. Kyle BD

Kyle BD Member

Hello all,

I looking for some ideas (types of pickups) to point me in a direction for my research regarding pickups replacement for my SSS Strat. What I think I'm looking for tone wise is something creamy smooth for blues/funk/reggae. Also If anyone can enlighten me a bit about single coil pickup and what makes the differences in tone that would be great! Such as:

What equals, material wise:

more middle?
    more bass?
    more treble?

what do middle bass and treble equate to sound wise? like lots of treble is probably best for funk while more middle for blues... something like that. sorry if I'm being vague but I think learning about this will help me find what I'm looking for

Thanks anyone for the pickup suggestion and or the info about pickups.

2. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

Go to the bareknuckles website. I havent trod their pickups, but the site is fantastic. Great sound samples and a chart giving relative bass, mid and treble.

Generally lower ohms = more treble and in some cases, like the Fender 69, more bass. Higher ohms, everything else equal, means more mids and less treble plus more output.

I like.Don Mare pickups and just got some Chevlier 1967 that do a great early Hendrix.

3. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

You need to know what you have, how your guitar sounds unplugged and what you want to achieve sound wise. There are so many great winders you should find one that has something you are interested in and contact them for opinions. You might want a stock set with a few more, or less, winds.

Mare, Chevlier (copperhead), Klein, rumplestiltskin, Lollar, Seymour Duncan are a good place to start.

4. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

I played a Strat at GC with some Noiseless N3 that sounded awesome.

5. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

Bareknuckle are great.
    Also they offer great cutomer care.
    Phone or have a decent email dialogue with them and they will sort you out with exactly what you need.