Pickups recommendations for a PRS SE Santana

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blingdogg, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

So I'm looking for new pickups for this guitar. I'm after a mainly classic rock, 60s and 70s tone like Thin Lizzy, Zeppelin, Santana, Clapton etc... So some sort of PAF probably. But I am open to P90s (humbucker sized).

I'm not looking for custom wound or high end pickups; basically just within Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio budget.

I play 75% with fuzz, and I have been curious about trying a SD Jazz for the neck since I like clear and bright neck pickups. But does the Jazz do fluid, singing leads when dirty?

Lastly, I want to make sure these pickups are the right match with this specific guitar. To people who owned this guitar, what did you find worked best for it?

2. VooDooClown

VooDooClown Silver Supporting Member

In that price range I'd go with a DiMarzio Bluesbucker in the neck and a Air Norton in the bridge.

Blingdogg likes this.
  3. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

I put used 90s era McCarty pickups in one of mine, with the OEM drop in wiring kit and coil split tone pot.

Sounds fantastic, cost me $200 total.

Blingdogg likes this.
  4. Mincer

Mincer Member

The Whole Lotta Humbucker set is a great choice, as well as the basic 59s.

Blingdogg likes this.
  5. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I have a '17 SE Santana and the one thing I am not 100% sold on is the pickups... I have a set of 57/57+ sitting in a box that I will probably try soon. Gonna swap out pots/wiring as a first step, though.

But, also like @Blingdogg, I am contemplating HB size P-90s. If I do, I know I will probably go straight to David at Zhangbucker pickups, yeah, they're hand wound, etc. But, the one full interaction for custom pickups I've had with him has been spectacular. He's also not outrageously priced.

I had bought a Les Paul that I truly loved playing, but was not fond of the 490/498 pickups in it. I had a tough time balancing the tone, good on the bridge, flat on the neck. good on the neck, brittle on the bridge. I emails Zhangbucker and David and I went back and forth a few times before he came up with a formula. When I popped the pickups into my guitar, he had nailed it 100%. I mean I couldn't believe how perfectly he nailed what I had described. And, all for a very, very reasonable amount of dough!

I know Duncan pickups has a great rep, with a long history of good sounds. Dimarzzio too. But, the custom wound set I have for my LP Custom is beyond every expectation I had.... For very close tot he same money.

Blingdogg likes this.
  6. tone4days

tone4days Member

Set of SD pearly gates maybe?

I also like the 59 neck and Custom5 bridge ... I find the 59 neck is beautiful for fluid singing lines with gain - roll the volume back and it is clear but not brittle for cleans ... and man, the custom 5 kills for crunch and cut

Blingdogg likes this.
  7. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. After some thought I decided to go with the Duncan 59 for the neck. I think it will have the fluid singing, tone I'm looking for. And it will make this guitar stand out a bit from my PRS SE Zach Myers that has an Alnico II Pro in the neck and Dimarzio 36th Anniversary in the bridge.

I really like the idea of the Bluesbucker and it will go into another guitar down the road (I actually already have one, just didn't install it in the Santana SE).

What do you guys think of a Pearly Gates in the bridge position along with the 59 in the neck?

Mincer likes this.
  8. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I have Dragon ll's in one and Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries in the other. Both sound great.

Blingdogg likes this.
  9. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Member

Sell it and get a Les Paul?

10. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

I have a Jazz Bridge in the neck position of my PRS and it's fabulous. It's still got that A5 clarity but with a little more output to help it sing and less of the boomy bass of a 59.

Blingdogg and Mincer like this.
  11. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

The thing is... I've been looking for a double cut special kinda guitar with a bigger neck for a long time.

My SE Santana feels better than my Gibson Double Cut Special. It just plays better. It also has a trem... Which the Gibson does not. I also bought it (used) for less than I paid for any of my Gibsons.

I still love my regular single cut Les Pauls. I haven't found a single cut PRS that will replace them yet. But the double cut Santana is a better guitar for me than my Gibson LP Special.