1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Pickups similar to Bardens

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edcat, May 19, 2011.

1. edcat

edcat Supporting Member

I've got a Strat with Barden pickups. I like the way they drive the amp but am wondering what pickups would do the what the Bardens do as far as output but be a little warmer (or less hi fi as some GPers would say)with more of a traditional Strat sound. They don't have to be noiseless. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. doc

doc Member

The GFS Lil Killers are similar in appearance to the Bardens and pretty high output so you'd get the "push" you want. They're also humbucking. They aren't particularly traditional in sound though, but sound thicker and more like a humbucker. They're thicker in the mids, and I guess "warmer", but they're pretty modern and "hi-fi" in sound. I'd look over the multiple "noiseless Strat pickup" threads for other suggestions.

3. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

The Little Kilers come in 6K, 10K, & 15K. When you get beyond the 6K they get less "stratty" with reduced highs. I wish there was about an 8K version.
    Maybe Duncan Cool Rails, or DiMarzio Chopper, Fast Track or Pro Track rails pickups would fit your bill. Chopper or Fast Track are closest to your description. They are all in that "Strat but bigger" camp like Bardens.
    Kinman Blues (noiseless) or Van Zandt Blues (single coil) could fit that bill too.

Bardens are my main pickup, though they can be bright in a bright guitar. They are PERFECT in my Parker Niteflys! Nothing sings like they do.

4. p.j.

p.j. Member

Have you tried moving them away from the strings a bit? Bardens can sound totally different if you adjust their height. Might be something to experiment with before you buy anything. I have 3 Bardens in my Tele and have found that I prefer the tone when they are relatively low compared to other pickups.

PJ

5. edcat

edcat Supporting Member

Yeah I've got them set way down as far away from the strings as possible. Closer to the strings they sounded awful.

6. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

I would probably recommend something from the Bill Lawrence line, maybe a 250, 280 or a 290.

You could try asking here...

http://guitarsbyfender.yuku.com/forums/11/Bill-Lawrence-Wilde-Gate

I believe Mr. Barden got his original blade ideas/pickup philosophy from Bill anyway, he's been producing various blade pickups since the mid-'70's, which would be a logical step for you if you're trying to maintain the Barden character w/ a somewhat different 'take', because the philosophies are very similar to begin with.