Pickups suggestions for all Mahogany LP style?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nsriley, Feb 3, 2006.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

I have an SX Les Paul type copy that was given to me as a gift, and it is an all mahogany body and thick mahogany neck with a rosewood board two humbuckers etc. Overall the guitar resonates extremely well. But the pickups and electronics I would like to change out eventually when I save up some money. I play a lotta blues and classic rock type stuff, and I play at home, not out at high volumes. But my volumes are pretty loud for home. I would like to keep my option fairly affordable, but not going to spend $200 or better on a pair in the boutique market. I am thinking Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio, maybe even Classic '57 Gibson's. I also like to play with a good Plexi type distortion, as well as Blackfaced cleans.

Suggestions for pups?

-Peace
    -Nate

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I'm coming to the conclusion that I actually like the Classic 57's.

I used to not like them in the bridge position, now, I kind of do.

3. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Wow, you are going to get a lot of replies.

Even though I am a Dimarzio endorser, I will give you a rather general reply as there are so many fine 'buckers out there these days from lots of companies.

My experience with a mahogany body/ neck is an Alnico II at about 7.8K will sound absolutely amazing clean, yet potentially very compressed and muddy with OD. If you plan to use OD, I would recommend an Alnico V or perhaps an Alnico III also in the 7.8K- 8K range. Less compressed, more definition.

OK you twisted my arm... The Dimarzio Virtual PAF kicks butt... ok someone slap me

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, as long as its accompanied by a disclaimer that you're an endorser, why not offer a recommendation for the product you endorse? Your view's as valid as anyone else's.

I just installed a pair of Fralin Unbuckers in a new mahogany body (w/rosewood cap)/mahogany neck axe (look for some pics later today in the Small Luthiers section). The bridge is 9.0K, the neck 7.5K. I chose the Fralins specifically because of how good they sound split (you may have other priorities) but they're fine PUPs in humbucker mode, too, albeit a tad "hummier" than a regular balanced-coil bucker.

5. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

True, albeit many see the word endorser and immediately think I benefit in some way from a prospective purchase, and assume hype and lies.

I endorse many companies, yet have never and will never act as a shill for them. I choose to endorse products I believe in. And certainly post rave reviews of products I don't endorse.

Folks that have known me for years know that, others well, in todays society we are bombarded with lies and hype. Hell, I'm still looking for the McDonald's hamburger in the TV commercials :)

Harry J
    www.harryj.net

6. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

Hell, I'm still looking for the McDonald's hamburger in the TV commercials :)

Harry J

lol, 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sezme seed bunnnnn

ok, I'm dating myself :eek:

thanks for the magnet recommendations too.

7. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

Hmmm...

Alnico III, 7.8k neck and 8.5k bridge if the guitar has a darker tone. Alnico II, same k-ohm if it's not on the dark side. That will cover the blues/classic rock category nicely. For a little higher gain type material, Alnico V.

Since I own a set of Highorders in Alnico II as described, I'd highly recommend them. Be prepared to wait up to ten weeks to get them though...they've gotten pretty popular recently.

http://www.highorderpickups.com

8. Luke V

Luke V Member

Being all mahogany, I think i'd go for p90s. I do like classic 57s in maple top pauls and 335s.

9. tjs

tjs Senior Member

For an affordable, versatile, decent-sounding pickup combination, you can't go wrong with a SD Jazz in the neck and '59 in the bridge. Stay away from the JB; it's one of the worst pickups I've ever had the misfortune to try.

10. Tinman

Tinman Member

I think you ought to at least look into the Dimarzio Eric Johnson humbuckers.

11. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'm keeping a running list to narrow it down.

-Peace
    '-nate

12. nsriley

nsriley Member

Now I am debating a set of covered Pearly Gates pickups, which in theory would sound sweet in a darker sounding mahogany guitar..........hmmmmm.

-Peace
    -Nate

13. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

As Harry J says, the Dimarzios would be good in there. Not only the VV PAF's, but the Classic PAF'S as well.

For handwounds, check out www.manlisuguitar.com the landmarks ( or a custom wind ) are excellent pickups and Micks a great guy to deal with....as is Jon Moore www.tonefordays.com I have sets by both and they are ( imho of course! ) killer.

Jeff Gay at highorder also winds toneful pups.

Another low cost set that really surprised me and sounded great for blues/rock in a mahogany guitar were the 12 pole A-5's from Kent Armstrong. Found a new set on ebay for $50 bones. Very Seth like tones for cheap.

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Hey, Nate. What's the 411 on the SX? Which model is it, I'll check it out on Rondo's site.

15. nsriley

nsriley Member

Hey CC! It's this one: http://www.rondomusic.net/gg1stdmhna.html

I love it! But down the road when I can afford it I am swapping the pups and electronics out. So I have a LP again ;)

-Peace
    -Nate

16. cadjack

cadjack Member

'57 Classics are perfect for this old guy, I play the same style of music also. Just right for what I'm doing, you might like them if your guitar is similar to this one:
    [​IMG]

17. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

This is VERY general advice, but keep this in mind... If you like tones with looser lows and smooth highs, go the DiMarzio route. If you like a little tighter lows with a little more "cut" in the tone, go with Duncans.

I know that was an overgeneralization, but it should at least get you started at which maker to consider.

18. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

It might be a bit dark, but I'd go SD JB in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge. :)

19. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks for all the suggestions so far folks!

-Peace
    -Nate

20. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Cool! I've actually looked that one over a few times myself. I like the whole all-mahogany idea. I don't know what I'd throw in for pickups, maybe a set of DiMarzio Virtual PAFs.

Congrats on the new gear :D